playing poker with ds, 7

(10 Posts)
lurkingman Sat 28-Sep-13 11:27:01

So, it turns out ds, 7 loves playing poker. I originally tried it on him because he saw some poker chips and was fascinated. I thought it'd be interesting in helping with numeracy (counting, adding, subtracting, even probability) so taught him the basics.
He loved it. Not te gambling (it's very tertiary) but the sport.
So, the question is - should we can it, carry on, or even let him play online poker sitting on my knee (he loves being in a team - and the idea of me and him against computer players is so much fun. Not for money, of course, just for fun)?

ThePlEWhoLovedMe Sat 28-Sep-13 17:38:33

I taught my DS to play poker when he was about 4 as he too loved numbers. Personally I wouldn't take the step to playing it online and would keep it as a card game at home. He also enjoyed playing crib and chess.

17leftfeet Sat 28-Sep-13 17:43:19

Carry on playing with him but keep away from the computer

SLVC Sun 29-Sep-13 08:07:57

Definitely keep it purely as a board game. To be honest it sounds like you play a lot of online poker, possibly around him, and want him to join in? Personally I wouldn't dream of it.

SLVC Sun 29-Sep-13 08:08:47

Card game, sorry! I am aware that poker is not a naked game.. blush

SLVC Sun 29-Sep-13 08:09:50

Agh! Not a BOARD game! Damn autocorrect.. I'm not having much luck here..

Tee2072 Sun 29-Sep-13 08:40:17

Wait, like on a gambling site? Or just a game against the computer?

Gambling site, no way.

Just a game on the computer, sure why not?

QuinionsRainbow Sun 29-Sep-13 12:12:59

By all means carry on playing poker, but round the table with chips etc. and most definitely not online, even if "just for fun". Sure as eggs are eggs, fun will one day turn into £££, and there's only one ultimate winner when that happens. When we were kids, Dad taught us all sorts of games fron his army days, Poker, Bragg, Solo, but we only ever played with matches as "currency", never with real money.

lurkingman Mon 30-Sep-13 23:18:07

Q, T, S, 17, TP:
Thanks - you all make a lot of sense. Glad you think good to keep at table is ok. Will prob do that...

DeWe Tue 01-Oct-13 09:15:40

It can be a naked game if you play strip poker grin Very popular at school in certain groups it was.

Really wouldn't go for the online with him. Even at 7yo they are quite computer savvy and he could find a gambling site and sign up very easily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now