3 Month old sleeping 12 hour stretch

(9 Posts)
igirisu Mon 23-Sep-13 07:19:40

Good morning ladies, I know most don't see this as a "problem" but if your baby was sleeping this long at night would you wake them for a feed? I don't know whether I should be waking him for a feed at about 12 or just leaving him to sleep like I have been? He has been sleeping through ever since he had his jabs on Wednesday and doesn't really sleep in the day apart from a couple of 30 min light naps.

flyingwidow Mon 23-Sep-13 07:23:54

Does he feed well during the day?

Meglet Mon 23-Sep-13 07:25:15

DS was the same and slept through from 3 months. This was a few years ago but the HV said not to bother about waking him for a feed as he was a good weight and he'd let us know if he was hungry. He continued to gain weight as he should despite stopping a night time feed and 6yrs on he is still a fab sleeper if you ignore the silly 5:30am wake up phase he had as a pre-schooler.

Plonkysaurus Mon 23-Sep-13 07:30:07

How much does he feed in the day? Mine started sleeping through at the same age, I just grabbed the opportunity for an evening to myself and decent sleep with both hands. If he's eating enough in the day (ie gaining weight) it's fine, I think if he was hungry he'd wake and let you know.

igirisu Mon 23-Sep-13 07:47:19

He is breast fed so I'm not sure of the quantities he is drinking but I feed him about every 1-2 hours sometimes more

dd1 did this. it came and went but was lovely.

dd2 is nearly 5 weeks and we are inadvisedly counting down ..

Mrsdonalddraper Mon 23-Sep-13 08:51:46

Dd was like this - at 12 weeks she slept 9pm-9am she's 4,5 months now and doesn't quite do 12 hrs (woke at 4am and 5.30am but went back to sleep both times) and generally wakes at about 8am and I worried about it too! Needless to say she's fine. On the occasions she wakes earlier and I feed her, she always goes back to sleep to 8am/9am so I just decided that was obviously when she wanted to wake up!

(Btw she is ff but has always been a snacky feeder - even now she only goes 3.5 hrs max in the morning and 2.5 hrs in the afternoon between feeds and never finishes a bottle)

MummyDuckAndDuckling Mon 23-Sep-13 17:27:10

My dd slept through from about 9 weeks. I would often 'dreamfeed' her before I was going to bed about 11/11.30 as I felt it was too long a stretch to go without. I guess in theory if she was hungry she would wake anyway but I suppose it done no harm. If your dc is feeding plenty in the day then all sounds fine!

schmalex Mon 23-Sep-13 17:34:10

My DS started sleeping 12 hrs at 11 weeks. He still does at 18mo. As long as they're gaining weight, I think you'd be crazy to wake them up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now