Dollhouse to help DS acquire speech?

(32 Posts)
GherkinsAreAce Thu 18-Jul-13 19:54:59

We saw the SALT today, who has recommended we buy our speech delayed 2 year old DS a dollhouse so we can encourage more imaginative play and play based around daily routines.

I want a very simple one which isn't lurid pink and which will be easy for him to handle. She would ideally like it to have:

Beds
Table
Chairs
Toilet
Little people

Has anyone got a good one they can recommend??

Or any experience of using a dollhouse like this?

Hawkmoth Thu 18-Jul-13 20:01:09

The playmobil 123 house is fantastic. I got it for DS for his 2nd birthday and he spent a LONG time playing with it. It's gender neutral, chunky and folds up with the pieces inside. I reckon it's the best thing I bought him.

insanityscratching Thu 18-Jul-13 20:02:59

Yes small world play really helps vocabulary and a child can practice routines and scenes that help them make sense of the world. Dd has a Fisher Price Loving family one like these Even though there is a fair bit of pink the people look like recognisable people and the furniture is lifelike. It's also sturdy and washable which is a bonus too.

JollyHolidayGiant Thu 18-Jul-13 20:06:40
Worriedmind Thu 18-Jul-13 20:09:25

You are not near Manchester are you?
We have one in dds room, its a big older one painted brick colour with a gray slate roof, there is loads of furniture and you can have it if you are near! It is huge though.

GherkinsAreAce Thu 18-Jul-13 20:44:58

Mind, that is so kind, but unfortunately we are a long way away from you. thanks for the kind offer. I'm sure you will find a lucky family to hand it on to, though!

Thanks do much everyone else for all the ideas - off to google those now.

blueberryupsidedown Fri 19-Jul-13 12:07:50

Any toy of that type would do. A little people farm is also good as you can make lots of animal sounds. And the little people zoo. A toy kitchen with plastic food. These toys create lots of opportunity to chat and encourage talking.

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3972393.htm
www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3972386.htm
www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3972953.htm
www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3846780.htm

GherkinsAreAce Fri 19-Jul-13 22:34:16

I've been having a look round and salt has now been very specific on what she wants. It has to be house furniture rather than a farm, zoo or other setting and it has to be easy to manipulate - little people that fit easily on/in furniture.

Misty9 Fri 19-Jul-13 22:39:01

Another idea is to use a basic four cube shelving unit (like ikea expedit) and buy the furniture bits separately. I've seen this on Pinterest and the like and love the idea smile

Misty9 Fri 19-Jul-13 22:42:24
Misty9 Fri 19-Jul-13 22:45:44
tapdancingelephant Fri 19-Jul-13 22:47:18

It doesn't fulfill your 'not pink' brief, but we have the Kidkraft mansion house (or similar - will google in a minute). It is big, but open all around, and very easily accessible. Lots of furniture, with colour coding to the rooms which helped dd work out which bit of furniture belonged to which room (she also has speech/language difficulties; we got ours when she was about 3, and it is still in use now she is 7, so although expensive, we have had our money's worth)

will just find a link, hang on

this is the one we have. We have an assortment of dolls to go with it - Barbie fits well (unfortunately), but I also have the soft Manhatten doll range ones, and dd2 even uses Happyland people in it (way out of scale, but she's happy!)

We got ours in Costco, it can be worth looking htere (especially int he run up to Christmas!)

redwellybluewelly Fri 19-Jul-13 22:52:00

Why not see if you have a toy library near you? Then you could trial one and see how your son takes to it. Toys R us was selling sme half price as I was going to get our DD one.

DevonCiderPunk Fri 19-Jul-13 22:54:28

Toy library is a great idea.

If you're near Devon, PM me! I have an old Habitat house that's not getting much love any more... very non-gender-specific, very lived-in...

DevonCiderPunk Fri 19-Jul-13 22:56:45

Another idea is picture books with scenes of daily life in them. Brambly Hedge books have lovely cross-sections of tree-trunk mouse houses, where you can point out kitchens, bedrooms, etc.

GherkinsAreAce Fri 19-Jul-13 23:03:26

Devon, thanks so much!! Unfortunately we are a fair way away. So kind of you to offer!!

Thanks everyone for the ideas and advice.

Edendance Sat 20-Jul-13 20:48:22

Another recommendation for Playmobil- I've found them to be excellent in the past, and often very gender neutral.

PolterGoose Sun 21-Jul-13 09:30:31

Ds had the older version of this Playmobil take along house

insancerre Sun 21-Jul-13 09:40:48

you want something like this
www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3974999.htm
it is expensive but the people are good because they look like they are the bendytype and not fixed plastic

insancerre Sun 21-Jul-13 09:45:31
Fizzypop001 Sun 21-Jul-13 10:52:42

reading chest seems really good as just started with them but the books i received seemed really good for children with delayed speech gave me books about the house which identifies the rooms around the house andtells kids what they can do in certain areas of houselike eating in kitchen and have picture of boy eatting breakfast with tick next to it got other books about colours etc worth a look

GherkinsAreAce Sun 21-Jul-13 12:34:42

Thanks everyone smile

It's so hard at the moment - everyone else's littles ones are speaking so much more and I've spent soooo much time talking to DS - anyone would think I hadn't bothered sad

Anyway - maybe a lovely new dollhouse will help - I'm enjoying browsing through all the ideas and any more suggestions very welcome.

redwellybluewelly Sun 21-Jul-13 12:40:17

Usbourne do a series of look and say books - thinhs like garden, home, town, weather and they are superb and helped our DD who has an expressive speech delay.

It is very emotional watching and having conversations with my daughters peers (they are three) who tell me about theur favourite toys and what they did at yhe weekend and my child is pointing and occasionally putting short sentences together but with no real conversation aspect.

redwellybluewelly Sun 21-Jul-13 12:40:46

Also an ipad helped our dd - an app cakled Splingo!

ClaimedByMe Sun 21-Jul-13 12:45:58

We have the toys r us wooden one, it came with basic furniture and you can buy more bits to go with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now