Toy ideas for two year old - we are stuck in a toy rut!!

(24 Posts)
WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 11-Jun-13 08:21:54

My 23 month old DS is only going through a language explosion now and is just starting to make sentences - first one this week was "hello daddy!"

We are looking to refresh his toys to give us lots of new activities to do with him and to talk with him about. We've got in a bit of a rut toy-wise and as his birthday is coming up thought we would get him some more. We have:

Lots of books
Baby Lego
Building bricks set
A ride on trike (no pedals)
Soft toys
A few puzzles
A ball
Musical instruments (shakers etc)

Any ideas very gratefully received!

BeanoNoir Tue 11-Jun-13 08:25:52

Scooter?
Kitchen with pots, pans and food? Lots to talk about there.
Gardening stuff?

JollyShortGiant Tue 11-Jun-13 08:31:35

At 2, children are developing much more of an imagination. So Happyland, basic playmobil or kitchen things are all really good. My 25mo is really into cars and trains. He also likes his magnetic letters and his train set. My friend's child is the same age as yours and loves jigsaws and puzzles. Books go down well with most children.

We have a sand pit which amuses DS for hours.

bruffin Tue 11-Jun-13 08:34:41

My best investment for toys (mine are 15 and 17 now) were pop up tents and tunnels.[[ http://www.elc.co.uk/Under-The-Sea-Pop-Up-Tents-Combo/135708,default,pd.html#q=tent something like this]] Bought the first one about that age and they were still playing with them when 10+ even the teletubby one!

bruffin Tue 11-Jun-13 08:35:16
patchesmcp Tue 11-Jun-13 08:38:28

My DS, 27 months adores his toy kitchen and his big cars and train. He does have a garage but it doesn't get played with lots.

He loves pretending to make things in the kitchen and gets us to try them. We make tracks with cushions for him to push the cars and train round.

Do you have any craft stuff? You could make lots of things and talk about what you make.

BrienneOfTarth Tue 11-Jun-13 08:41:18

Agree on scooter and pop-up tunnel (also a popup play house?)

At 2 you need to decide on our policy about not-suitable-for-under-36-months. Most toys that ARE suitable for under 36 months are too babyish for a 2-3yo - so we expanded our horizons whilst making sure that DS was always closely supervised and knew that no toy was ever to go in his mouth.

SoMuchToBits Tue 11-Jun-13 08:42:08

Playmobil 123 , suitable from 18 months up

Splatt34 Tue 11-Jun-13 08:42:48

i was going to say food & kitchen too. we got dd her kitchen when she was 20 months and she loves it. Is always making us food and having tea partys. When for boyfriends come over they love it too. We have the ikea one which i think is really good value.

shellandkai Tue 11-Jun-13 08:56:46

We got my ds a 3 wheeled scooter, building blocks a toddler basketball net and ball, and a microphone (for toddlers) there is loads you can get them as at 2 years they grow fast and if they don't know how to do something they soon will, so I would say things like that and here's a few more suggestions:
Building blocks
V-tech computer for toddlers
Cars
Garage
Slide
Swing
Football net and football.

There are more but can't think properly off the top of my head but don't just go for something you think they may only know how to do now get something that you have to teach them to do too.

DontmindifIdo Tue 11-Jun-13 08:57:55

Kitchen or a shop is also good (then you can play being the customer and asking for things).

A wooden farm and animals.

My DS started really getting into cars and trains at this age (he's now 3 and transitioning to dinosaurs smile)

We were lucky to get my brother's old Brio train set, which he loved. Lots of little toy cars, which are cheap and hardy. Education wise it was good for learning colours, we would have car adventures around the flat and outside too. He also got into tractors and trucks, we had a little farm tractor with some animals, so did the whole animal thing.

We got him some kitchen stuff but he wasn't bothered.

I don't know how you feel about TV but we also got the old school Sesame Street DVDs, from the 1970s -- they are super slow and kind of dorky, but good fun. It's how I learned to read when I was a kid and sure enough, DS learned his letters and numbers really quickly after he started watching them, and fell in love with Cookie Monster (his new best friend).

AlwaysWashing Tue 11-Jun-13 09:13:20

We have Thomas mad 27 month old so he's very happy with his wooden train tracks and little engines, he does enjoy his kitchen & whilst the weather was nice last week spent literally hours playing with saucepans of water and a tea set in the garden He has a play house and climbing frame/slide plus sand & water table too which get messes of use when we can play out. All of the above seem to give us endless things to talk about grin

what about dressing up- chef hat and apron (velcro fastening) to go with the toy kitchen, and lots of other outfits come as little tabards and hats that are easy enough for a 2yo to put on. medical/vet kit?

have a look at the happy puzzle company for toys grouped by what skills they support/develop, as well as age bands.

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 11-Jun-13 11:29:45

Thank you so much for these amazing ideas! Just at work now, but will read properly and reply later.

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 11-Jun-13 19:19:05

Just going through your wonderful suggestions! Thank you so much for all the input.

So far, just based on the other toys he likes best I think the following might be a start:

Toy spade for digging in garden
Playmobil/happyland
Train set
Sand pit
Shop
Puzzle

I forgot we had a tunnel and toy kitchen already blush he does love those!!

Now to persuade DH that even though he has been made redundant we can afford lots of new toys! smile

VodIsGod Tue 11-Jun-13 19:21:56

Marble run? I have 3 DSs and they've all spent happy times sending marbles round a track smile

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 11-Jun-13 19:31:21

Ooh I think he'd love a marble run grin

Catbiscuit Tue 11-Jun-13 19:37:01

Shape sorter
Dolls house
Train set

lolalotta Tue 11-Jun-13 20:59:06

How about a toy till??? My DD loves hers! grin

DTisMYdoctor Tue 11-Jun-13 21:04:10

Mini micro scooter, wooden train set and happy land - all loved by DS when he was two and apart from the happy land still played with now at almost 5. Duplo is also great, deemed a bit babyish now he's discovered proper lego, but great play value for a long time before that.

Orchard toys do great puzzles and games too.

wiltingfast Wed 12-Jun-13 08:50:06

Toy cars and a garage? My ds still loves these.

Wow trucks are great.

I get a lot of toys second hand on net. Got a massive crate of brio for £28. There was so much of it I gave a good chunk of it to my nephew.

blueberryupsidedown Wed 12-Jun-13 12:31:40

toy garage
train track
toy kitchen, pots pans and a till, a tea set (from Ikea, ELC does a nice blue spotty tea set)
plastic play food or wooden if you can splash out
wooden peg puzzles
toy guitar, drum, keyboard
toy microphone so that he can record his own voice and play it back
garden, stepping stones, sit-in car
water and sand play tray
little people zoo
Playdoh stuff helps a lot with fine motor skills and you can do it together!

A big purse full of lots of coins or buttons and a petty cash tin with a slot to post them through.
Other containers in which to hide coins: salad spinner, little pots and tins
Matchbox cars: you can often pick up a bundle in charity shops- sit on a hard floor together and try and race the car between you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now