When did you stop doing the whole cotton wool & water thing for cleaning DC's bum/face?

(54 Posts)
u32ng Mon 29-Apr-13 22:23:12

DS is 3m old and me & DH are still largely using cotton wool & water for his nappy changes at home.

Kind of thinking we could just be using wipes all the time now maybe?? Just wondering when any of you stopped using cotton balls?

Would prob still continue with it for cleaning his face tho as I'm not sure what else we'd use - apart from perhaps a face flannel?

sweetkitty Wed 01-May-13 16:28:09

About a week with DD1, erm never used cotton wool for the next 3.

Hardly any nappy rash or reaction to the wipes.

stargirl1701 Wed 01-May-13 16:20:17

About 3 months. We switched to reusable wipes - Cheeky Wipes. I really love them & save us a fortune. Great for DD too as she has eczema.

ButtonBoo Wed 01-May-13 16:13:07

At about 2 months. Much more practical when you're out and about too.

If you're worried about them being too harsh, maybe start with the 'sensitive' range. We used the pampers sensitive ones and they were great. Huggies were like wiping with that scratchy toilet paper you used to have at school! They are on offer all the time though. Maybe that's why?!!

fishybits Wed 01-May-13 14:04:40

1 nappy change

TSSDNCOP Wed 01-May-13 14:03:51

Next time you have a cold, wipe your nose with a Pampers Sensitive wet wipe.

Not nice.

imustbepatient Wed 01-May-13 14:03:11

Ditto same as intheshed. Have a six month old and a two year old, neither have ever had more than a fleeting glimpse of nappy rash despite using wipes pretty much from the start.

Maybe I've just been lucky though! Interesting to hear that cotton wool isn't used / pushed at all in some other countries.

paneer Wed 01-May-13 13:58:15

bum - 18 months!! (when at home)

KoreRenati Wed 01-May-13 13:58:14

As soon as we had to take him out for a day and didn't fancy lugging water and cotton wool with us.

PearlyWhites Wed 01-May-13 13:57:01

Less than a day

WifeofGru Wed 01-May-13 13:52:27

I am speechless. My two girls always had poo explosions leaking out the nappy and down their legs. I would go through up to 4 sleepsuits a day. A few bits of cotton wool just wouldn't have cut it!!

gourd Wed 01-May-13 13:48:51

We still use cotton wool and water or toilet roll if bum not too messy and ours is 2 and a half years old. Wipes are pretty useless (except for removing oil from bikes/carpet/clothes)...

ben5 Wed 01-May-13 09:41:23

when we left hospital with ds1
ds2 they used wipes from about 2 weeks

MERLYPUSS Wed 01-May-13 09:36:32

Never did it as I couldn't stand the fibres. Cut up a fleece baby blanket and used that dipped in chamomile tea as washables. (different coulour for face)

CPtart Wed 01-May-13 09:01:49

For about as long as I insisted every nappy change was going to be done upstairs on the changing table.......about three days!

u32ng Wed 01-May-13 08:24:44

Hmm think I'll look into these water wipe thingies too...

MrsHoarder Tue 30-Apr-13 21:05:25

At home, when he started cruising and pulled the "changing box" over. Wipes are easier to hide out of reach and used then from about week 3 out and about.

Very rarely used cotton wool on his face. Every bath time he gets a new face cloth that goes from top to bottom then is thrown in the wash.

narmada Tue 30-Apr-13 20:54:48

how in hell does cotton wool and water work when you're out and about?!?!?

Lasted 1 day with PFB, never contemplated cotton wool with DS.

Theironfistofarkus Tue 30-Apr-13 20:53:15

The minute I got out of hospital.

TheDetective Tue 30-Apr-13 20:48:24

3 months here. smile

I used wipes in the hospital with both mine - there were free ones in the bounty pack!

wickeddevil Tue 30-Apr-13 20:45:44

As soon as the midwife left

SwivelHips Tue 30-Apr-13 20:43:49

Still going strong at 11 months. Its never bothered me, I'm so in the habit now (as is dh!!) I dont think twice about it. Will buy flannel for his face though, just hadn't occured to me so good idea. Use wipes when out and about but really do prefer cotton wool. <weirdo face>

louisianablue2000 Tue 30-Apr-13 19:42:36

All my kids react to wipes so I always use cotton wool and water for pee and use wipes to remove poo then use cotton wool and water to get rid of the wipe residue. still top and tailing 8 month old DS on days he doesn't have a bath, although admittedly 'topping' is done with a flannel these days.

RubyrooUK Tue 30-Apr-13 19:37:33

DS1 got cotton wool and water for a few months. Then I moved onto sensitive wipes although I used Water Wipes on his face as even even sensitive wipes have him a rash.

DS2 got brilliant Water Wipes from day one. He is six weeks and I am still using them at vast expense as I believe his precious second born bum is too sensitive for normal wipes. blush

shoesontheglasslamp Tue 30-Apr-13 18:56:47

Only stopped cotton wool and water about 2 months ago, DS is nearly 2 and a half...
Still go back to it if he's got a sore bottom.
Face, can't remember!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now