My 5 yr old pushing other children

(5 Posts)
quietlysuggests Fri 08-Mar-13 14:42:31

Can I just point out that school's advice doesn't seem to mean anything -
"shes seeking attention" implies it is wilful boldness
"as she is developmentally immature" understands that she will grow out of this (normal) behaviour!
I'd take their second peice of advice!!
Does she need a full assessment do you think? Do you have local early intervention type services? Some places keep their early babies on routine review until they settle into school, other areas its up to parents/teachers to specifially feel theres an issue then refer in.

MammaCici Fri 08-Mar-13 13:52:43

My DC is still a toddler so I don't have any experience but my first thought is that she might enjoy a contact sport such as karate. A martial art would also teach her restraint. Some of my nephews and nieces love it.

When she pushes other children do you punish her? Remove toys/ privileges or such? And do you reward good behaviour?

AdrianSagerian Fri 08-Mar-13 13:37:59

Thanks for that, we do have a few 'bundles' and she really enjoys it. I'll try this more often. School thinks it's her way of seeking attention as she was 8 weeks premature and is below the development age of the other kids.

quietlysuggests Thu 07-Mar-13 10:10:35

one thought - does she crave a bit of rough play? I think girls dont tend to get this as much as boys do as we adults tend to be politer, gentler with them. So i just wonder, does she get to roll down a hill in the park? Does she get to wrestle on the floor with her dad? bounch on a trampoline? Get big bear hugs every day? Hold her tight and tell her shes in prison and she has to break free?
Just a thought.

AdrianSagerian Wed 06-Mar-13 18:39:13

Hi
My 5 yr old daughter has occasionly pushed other children since she was 2. Pushing me stopped a last year but it still carries on in reception school. When I asked her why she does this, she told me its because she likes it. We (Dad and I) are consistent in telling her that pushing is not good but she still does it. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on with her?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now