Swimming with an 8 month old?

(11 Posts)
tazmo Tue 19-Feb-13 22:07:26

Ps meant to say, we have lots of mum and baby classes. Haven't been to any. Also u can buy swim nappies form supermarket - expensive at pool! £1.95 per nappy!

tazmo Tue 19-Feb-13 22:05:36

Hi baby ring is good (my local pool provides them) to,save your arms. Swim nappies a must. Swimming cossie. Our pool is fab and think you will find there r family changing at a local pool. Mine has big changing rooms, change mats, baby pen etc and its a public pool so u may be surprised. Our pool also has change mats beside the baby pool as well as little toys - balls, watering cans etc. I take the car seat in and when she's had enough, change bab at pool side so,I can play with my son after his swim lesson. My dd3 is well chilled tho - but babs do love swimming. Chlorine knocks em out as well as humidity! Tho took me to dd3 to get confidence to take bab swimming

lynniep Tue 19-Feb-13 12:31:22

I agree with the others. Dont buy anything but a swim nappy yet. (agree buy a happy nappy to go over the top) If you can find a heated pool, fantastic.

DS1 hated any kind of contraption. He was v. wiggly - wouldnt sit in baby seat, hated armbands etc - loved being pulled around a pool.
DS2 also a wiggler but was older when introduced to swimming so plonked him in armbands and let him go.

fififrog Tue 19-Feb-13 12:22:07

Oh yes watering cans seem very popular with little ones in the pool!

fififrog Tue 19-Feb-13 12:21:05

If you can afford it you can go to baby swimming lessons, which really helps give you some confidence and ideas for things to do. We do swim lessons so have a "happy nappy" as these are required on top of a huggies swim nappy or a reusable swim nappy. You can get them second hand on eBay for £3.50 Inc p&p with persistence. If we go swimming on our own we take a rubber duck and/or a ball to throw around - our local pools don't do toys. I got one of those towelling hooded garments to stick her in with a snack while I get dressed. Never had a problem with her being cold but she seems quite resilient that way generally.

Thanks all! Think I need to go to a few local pools and see what their changing facilities are like!

belindarose Mon 18-Feb-13 21:12:30

put DC in, although there's not always room.

I've just bought one of those massive zip up bags - I think they're designed for laundry - and throw all our stuff in. It's hard sorting out bags and belongings. Easier to go through once you're home.

belindarose Mon 18-Feb-13 21:10:51

Mine is nearly 8 months and also the bouncy, wriggly type. DD hated swimming as a baby so I was a bit nervous with DS, but he loves it.

He wears a disposable swim nappy (but I wash it and reuse if not actually soiled - never has been yet) under a washable swim nappy. Then a wetsuit type thing over the top.

We don't use any other equipment - I just hold him under the arms, or under his chest, or his back/ shoulders when on his back.

Getting out requires being a bit tough on yourself I think. My DS is happy being held in the shower with me - DD would have screamed blue murder. Our pool has a pull down changing table that I lay a fold up
changing mat and towel on. Once dressed, he sits in a cute wall-mounted chair to watch me. Again, DD would not have put up with this. Some pools have a play pen and I've also seen people using buggies to

crazy88 Mon 18-Feb-13 21:01:19

Ime it takes a few visits for them to really enjoy the water so I wouldn't expect too much the first time. I would strongly advise a wetsuit because if he gets cold he won't enjoy it at all. You can probably get one cheap on eBay. Also re changing, if there aren't special facilities (there aren't at my pool!), wrap him up in a towel and sit him on the floor with a snack and a drink and get yourself changed first. That way you don't have to worry about him crawling about and getting his clothes wet! Have fun!

cathpip Mon 18-Feb-13 20:37:05

Personally i would visit your local pool (hopefully it has a baby pool) and buy a swim nappy at the reception, and see if your ds loves the water before purchasing anything. Also if you go to a specific toddler splash session they quite often have loads of floats and rings etc that you can try out first. As for changing they do have family rooms with seats for babies to sit in and most pools have a play pen available.

To paint the picture...DS just turned 8 months. He is extremely active (been walking for over a month) he is also really really strong, unbelievably so. He literally never stops moving, arms and legs flail about all the time, he's like the duracell bunny.

I would love to take him swimming but am unsure of the best way to go about this and what I need. I went to mothercare today and there is such a large selection of swimming marketing crap stuff that I don't know where to start! Armbands, rubber rings to sit in, poncho towels, baby wetsuits, swimsuits with floats inside!

So...for a very strong wriggly baby, who gathers more strength and enthusiasm when faced with a new activity, what should I get?

Also, when you come out of the pool, and get baby dressed, what do you do with them while you get dressed? My.memory of pool changing rooms is a soaking wet floor, he will being sodden!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now