What should I call the vagina?

(113 Posts)
Mrsapea Sun 30-Dec-12 10:55:00

Dear all

I have a 3 year old boy and a 3 week old little girl. My little boy is very helpful and likes to pass me the nappies when changing. As is normal with kids he talks about his little sister and her body; during a nappy change he asked me why she didn't have a willy and what she did have. I told him it was called a "front bottom" but that adults call it a "vagina". Both these explanation sound either silly or too anatomical.

What would you guys recommend I call it?
Many thanks
Mrsapea

steppyhen Sun 30-Dec-12 11:37:46

my mum used to call it a minnie!

musttidyupBeforeSantaComes Sun 30-Dec-12 11:45:52

I'm sure that I know how this will turn out - a squabble over using 'cutsie'' names v anatomical ones plus the argument of vagina versus vulva etc.
FWIW I call it a tuppy (from my childhood, boys have a penny ha'penny an girls have a tuppence grin) but I do tell them 'but these are funny names we use -its really called a _'
I know lots of people who use Minnie but I think the whole mouse/car/skirt thing could be confusing....

Tee2072Thing Sun 30-Dec-12 11:48:57

Call it the vagina.

Yes, yes I know that's not technically correct as only part of it is the vagina but, honestly, it's only on MN I have ever heard that to be a problem and I have read millions of messages boards over the last 15 years.

It was a good enough term for my mom to use with me, it's a good enough term now.

lifestuff Sun 30-Dec-12 11:52:52

My little girls has always called it her flower and my little boys calles his a tail not sure how they names came across but it works for my kids lol x

lifestuff Sun 30-Dec-12 11:52:52

My little girls has always called it her flower and my little boys calles his a tail not sure how they names came across but it works for my kids lol x

GreatCongas Sun 30-Dec-12 12:26:19

If you're going to use a proper word like vagina then use vulva

prettybird Sun 30-Dec-12 12:27:57

At primary schools in Glasgow, they are taught the word vulva (matter-of-factly, alongside foot, head, arm, hand and penis)

Tee2072Thing Sun 30-Dec-12 12:35:49

Why use vulva, though, over vagina? Neither is 100% accurate, so why does it matter which you use?

NB: I don't have a daughter so this is just an academic exercise to me. smile

musttidyupBeforeSantaComes Sun 30-Dec-12 12:39:14

Pudendum then?rolls of the tongue doesn't it?

kickassmomma Sun 30-Dec-12 12:39:48

Dds dad and his side of the family call it a 'fruity'... I just say girly bit

noisytoys Sun 30-Dec-12 12:42:15

We just call the whole area bum bum. Front bum + back bum = bum bum

GreatCongas Sun 30-Dec-12 12:50:51

Because vulva is external and vagina is internal. I suspect a small child will be talking about their external bits

My dd calls it her girly bits. It's what she started calling it so we stuck with it for now

prettybird Sun 30-Dec-12 12:53:39

But the vulva is the correct term for what children see, ie the "external sexual organs". Vagina is the internal bit.

badguider Sun 30-Dec-12 12:54:41

Tee - why do you say vulva isn't 100% correct? I am pretty sure it is the external genitals of any female mammal?
Given children are almost always talking about 'what they can see' then i would say vulva is correct?

confused

izzyhasanewchangeling Sun 30-Dec-12 12:56:03

Vagina and willy here.

ChristmasJubilee Sun 30-Dec-12 13:00:06

We say front bottom.

Tee2072Thing Sun 30-Dec-12 13:01:42

Because the area isn't 100% the vulva any more than it is 100% the vagina.

No one said 'well the part you can see is the vulva' did they? Not until just now. And, actually, if you're going by what you can see then MustTidy is the one who is 100% correct.

So, to me, who has always called it the vagina, thinks vagina is what to call it.

Perhaps because vagina seems to be the opposite of a penis, which is what I call my son's penis?

juneybean Sun 30-Dec-12 13:01:49

I say foof but agree vulva is the correct term.

CatchingMockingbirds Sun 30-Dec-12 13:03:08

I've recently had to explain this to my 5yr old son too as we're pg with a little girl, I've went with 'vagina and penis', and he now says 'Gina and P or winkie' (because he kept forgetting the word penis).

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 30-Dec-12 13:06:28

The vulva has many major and minor anatomical structures, including the labia majora, mons pubis, labia minora, clitoris, bulb of vestibule, vulval vestibule, greater and lesser vestibular glands, and the opening of the vagina.

How is this not 100% correct?

Minky here although all the dcs know the correct names.

I don't think it matters really as they'll learn as they grow.

CatchingMockingbirds Sun 30-Dec-12 13:11:40

I've seen the word minky been used before but just on mn, it sounds too much like manky to me. When I was young it was always flower.

musttidyupBeforeSantaComes Sun 30-Dec-12 13:11:48

<polishes 2 badges. One for pudendum and one for correctly predicting thread contents>

redwellybluewelly Sun 30-Dec-12 13:14:08

We call them bits or little bits as that's what her best friend uses and it just seemed ok at the time.

She calls it her weewee which I can live with for now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now