Toddler not eating much at all

(4 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Tue 11-Dec-12 21:02:56

No probs. The whole getting them to eat (and trying not to get upset chucking away good food that's been untouched) is really stressful, isn't it? Ps I forgot to say in my mammoth post that apricots are really good as they're iron rich and I pretend they're sweets...

varicoseveined Tue 11-Dec-12 14:25:24

Thanks for your reply, a lot of useful info there!

Your story sounds a bit similar to mine. I'm on the slim side, turns out my mum said I was the same as a toddler but grew out of it. And this morning I discovered that DS is teething so that explains a lot! Will definitely look into providing more iron rich food and adding cream cheese to sauces. Thanks again!

Elizabeth22 Tue 11-Dec-12 08:29:11

I'm not an expert but it sounds like you are in the same place I was with my BF toddler at that age. My toddler was filling up on milk so wasn't hungry. One reason was he was constantly ill so BF was a comfort. The second thing was that he was a bit behind on speech so he never communicated he was hungry so by the time he was REALLY hungry he would ask for a feed. So I needed to guess before he got to that stage. Also being a toddler he was always TOO busy with playing to eat. So what I did was put a grazing plate out during the day with varied snacks. Also I find he is hungry at times that we're not. Because he had a morning feed - breakfast was later. Then that pushed out lunch, which pushed out dinner. We find he's hungry after his evening bath!! Because he's not eating much we give him a vitamin supplement in case. But apparently Breast milk contains lots of Vits but not iron. So make sure you offer iron rich goods rather when he does eat. My son could survive on crackers so I added spreads to the crackers. Such as cream cheese, peanut butter and marmite - and also pâté as that's iron rich. We make a point of not saying anything (really hard) and find he comes back to it in his own time when there's no pressure. We try to teach him the words of things he likes. We also have a pod (about £100 but worth every penny) that he can stand in and help me cook/watch me cook. I find he like to 'test' what he's cooking. I found tricks like adding cream cheese to pasta sauces makes it stick to the pasta so it's easier for him to eat. It's best to look over a course of a week everything he eats. My son has lean days and days he eats more. Some days he eats only carbs, other days only veg. It balances out. I would also think about the texture of what he's eating - sounds like he is eating only smooth things? Also are you and your husband slim build?

varicoseveined Mon 10-Dec-12 14:48:04

My DS is 23 months old and weighs 10.96kg (about 24lbs) which is around the 9th percentile. He is still BF and never had a problem with solids, we skipped purees but didn't strictly do BLW. He always refused breakfast until about 3 months ago and now has Ready Brek with whole milk pretty much daily. Sometimes he refuses lunch or dinner but always eats yoghurt. He doesn't want me to feed him but when he feeds himself not much gets eaten, with the exception of rice or pasta. I was planning to night-wean him later this month but at the same time I don't want him to lose any weight IYSWIM.

He's been on the 9th percentile since around when he turned 1, prior to that he was always 50% or above. He occasionally snacks on breadsticks, crackers or cheese. I am trying to be calm at mealtimes but inside I'm freaking out. He doesn't look very skinny but I see most toddlers his age at toddler groups seem much more pudgy than he is and I can't help but worry a bit. Will he grow out of this? Any tips? My DD (5) is a voracious eater so I really haven't a clue here grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now