Makaton Signing

(12 Posts)
whoknowswho Thu 29-Nov-12 10:37:28

Thanks guys for all your replies - course booked for January.

SamSmalaidh Sat 24-Nov-12 21:24:20

IIRC you cover 400 signs in the core vocabulary in the foundation course, so more than enough to get started with.

SamSmalaidh Sat 24-Nov-12 21:22:16

I did the makaton foundation course over 4 half days, pretty easy to pick up but you do need to keep using it regularly or you will forget it. Try to use the signs practically as soon as you learn them.

hubbahubster Sat 24-Nov-12 21:18:27

Makaton is meant to be used for people with special needs (which includes my DB). I found signing useful with DS but I always used BSL since we went to a baby signing group that used it. Makaton itself isn't any better than BSL.

Chottie Fri 23-Nov-12 20:30:40

I studied Makaton too, it was not difficult to pick up as it is very logical.

Emsyboo Fri 23-Nov-12 20:28:04

I Do baby sign language with my DS picked it up really easily my friend is a speech therapist and was amazed how similar makaton is to the signs we use.
They are quite obvious or have easy ways or stories as to what they are ie biscuit is hand on elbow as if grinding with elbow from when sailors would smash worms out if biscuits and mother is your 3 fingers tapping the head as mother is the head of the household wink
If its a good course I don't think you'll find it difficult good luck x x

bruffin Fri 23-Nov-12 14:45:03

My dd 15 helps at a SEN playgroup and has picked up Makaton from the children and leaders quite easily. She seems to know quite a few signs.

feetheart Fri 23-Nov-12 06:41:35

Sorry I didn't get back - RL interfering with MN!

I would echo what Ineedalife says.
It's very useful, most of the signs are logical so quite easy (and fun) to pick up. You feel a bit awkward to start with but with practice it becomes easier and after a while, if you are using it a lot, almost second nature. I also did Baby signing with both DC and revert to it automatically whenever I encounter a toddler (usually to said toddler's bemusement smile) even though DC are 9 and 7!

You would definitely have enough to communicate after 2 days though it will take practice to become more fluent. A lot of the signs are taken from BSL so once you have learnt Makaton you can go on to learn Signed English or BSL although be prepared for some confusion - actually this can happen in BSL anyway as there are impressive regional variations!

Hope that helps and good luck smile

Ineedalife Thu 22-Nov-12 18:42:26

Hi whoknows

MAKATON is great and many of the signs are common sense. You use it alongside spoken language so you only need to sign the key words, especially when you are first starting.

It is like anything and gets better with practice. I use signing at work but need to make sure I use it regularly so that I dont get rusty.

If you can afford to do it it would be worth it.

Good lucksmile

whoknowswho Thu 22-Nov-12 12:32:21

hi feetheart, I'm thinking of doing it and its a long time since I did any learning... So wanted to know; is it quite easy to pick up (as an adult)?, and would I have enough knowledge from a two day course to communicate with a 6yo child who uses only makaton. Its quite an expense so just want to be sure before I sign up for the course. I'd appreciate your opinion. Thanks

feetheart Thu 22-Nov-12 12:18:34

Me a long time ago. I've also done Signed English.
What do you want to know?

whoknowswho Thu 22-Nov-12 12:16:33

Anybody done a Makaton Signing training course?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now