Help, I'm rubbish

(7 Posts)
misskatamari Mon 02-Sep-13 15:27:33

I always turned fan off when baking as it always just ruined my cakes. Agree tho if that's not an option or you want to leave it on knock 20 degrees off the cooking temp. Good luck

belle1992 Wed 31-Jul-13 20:21:09

yea I'd try 160 to 170 and check them after 20 mins maybe?

MollyBerry Wed 31-Jul-13 10:11:26

200 is too high for cupcakes. I have a fan assisted and put it on max 175 for cupcakes otherwise they brown too much on top. If your oven always overcooks things if the recipe says 200 fan assisted then turn it down at least 10 degrees and see how things go

Thank you both. It's a fan assisted electric, and it always seems to overcook things. Or maybe that's me blaming my tools... grin

nannycook Tue 30-Jul-13 21:09:35

mimsy, what oven do you have, gas, electric, fan assisted? if its fan assisted you need to lower temp to 160,or 180 if not; or gas 4 and always check, easiest way us pressing the top (lightly) and if cooked they sprung back, or stick the knife in..

belle1992 Tue 30-Jul-13 13:48:20

Hi you need to lower the temperature to about 180 and cook then for about 25 minutes x

I can cope with buns.

DS wanted to make some "little cakes" in some silicon moulds which are probably a bit more than cupcake-size.

I baked for around 17 minutes on 200c until they were golden (more toward browny gold) on top. Managed to get them out of the moulds with no problem (my main fear) but they're not cooked in the middle. Argh.

How do I avoid this in future? I can't see how I could leave them in the oven for longer without them burning on top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now