Help please

(89 Posts)
nannycook Sat 15-Jun-13 19:05:07

I know there a few people on here who can give me some advice, im making a 6inch top tier cake in chocolate with ganache in the middle, can i use it fir the crumb coat?( would it show through the white fondant) or do i just put it in the middle and keep to buttercream for the crumb coat? I need an answer by wed if poss from anyone.

ParsleyTheLioness Sat 15-Jun-13 19:21:03

No idea, but I'll bump for you grin

Ive asked my friend who makes wedding cakes. She says she would always use buttercream but make it with some warm milk to make it lighter. I have never heard of this so will be having a go myself. HTH

nannycook Sat 15-Jun-13 21:14:28

So she thinks keep using normal buttercream for the crumb coat and leave the ganacge for the middle?

Sorry only just seen your reply! Yes use ganache in the middle but buttercream as a crumb coat. On the TV they seem to pipe a circle of buttercream around the edge of the cake to make a kind of dam and then fill with ganache. Hope that make sense.

nannycook Sun 16-Jun-13 16:05:33

Yes its makes alot of sense, god knows why i didnt think of that, thanks so much 2ofsteds. Am slightly stressing as weddings sat.

Im sure you will do a great job! I don't have the skills for wedding cakes yet. In fact at the moment all my baking is rubbish and keeps sinking in the middle! I am usually quite a good baker and the only things I've changed are using room temp eggs inatead of fridge cold and have stopped beating the life out of the mix after adding the flour. This was supposed to make my cakes better not worse! confused

nannycook Sun 16-Jun-13 19:40:19

Thank you 2ofsted, its my 2nd ever wedding cake so bound to have a few nerves, and i'm attending the wedding too. Mmm i have that problem alot myself especially my bigger cakes, the last i made were madeira mix with a mix of plain and s/r flour and they were fine, but if i try say a 9 or a 10 with a victoria mix then i have problems, very very annoying.

nannycook Sun 16-Jun-13 19:44:49

I'll put a pic on to go with my other pics on my profile when i've finished for you to have see.

MikeLitoris Tue 18-Jun-13 21:59:58

How did the cake turn out nanny?

nannycook Wed 19-Jun-13 07:44:45

Hiya Mike, where you been? Could do with your help, have you had any experience with tiered wedding cakes, i've made and iced the bottom tier (covered the board also) its 12ibch fruit so very heavy!! 2nd is 9inch with jam and cream, and 3 is 6inch lemon, hydrangeas coming slightly off center down from top to bottom, i am however worried about cream bulging, sliding off falling off even, but biggest worry us transporting the bloody thing, i have this week off and yesterday hubby and i went to have a look where thus venue was, its a stunning castle in Glouster, Forest of Dean, with very uneven drive up, so so pressues for the cake to look good,its about an hrs drive from where i live.
And to top it off i fear its raining on sat, any tips, help? Have you done this before Mike?

MikeLitoris Wed 19-Jun-13 07:54:08

Is it clearwell castle? Its a stunning venue.

I have made a few tiered cakes and havent had any issues with bulging so far. Maybe do a marzipan layer before the icing?

For an hours drive I would be tempted to take the tiers separately and assemble there. You said your a guest so this may not be practical though.

If not I would just make sure each layer is properly dowelled, on a cake card and stuck on top of the lower tier with royal icing maybe?

Its a toughie! Im glad my only wedding has been a single cake with cupcakes!

Ive just done a small 3 teir hello kitty cake amd that weighed an absolute ton!

Good luck with it!

nannycook Wed 19-Jun-13 08:35:54

Yes Mike thats it, Clearwell Castle, it would take to long to assemble the flowers and then ribbon around each tier, the fruit cake is really really heavy just on its own,yep gonna put 4 dowells, then royal icing to secure the 2nd tier, then dowell that one and so on and so on, and yes theres thin card cards under each tier, the only relief i have is we are staying the night in the pub down the road so after my mega stress at least i get to wind down with a gin or two, 3,4,5 maybe, god know i think i'll need it, ha ha.
I'll pist a pic if i'm happy with it Mike.x

nannycook Wed 19-Jun-13 08:37:32

If you look at my spelling you'd think i've had a few already!!

MikeLitoris Wed 19-Jun-13 08:42:24

Can you put the cake in the front of the car with you.?

I'd have it in the passenger footwell with me and let dh drive.

I'm sure it will be perfect.

nannycook Wed 19-Jun-13 08:50:07

Nope not really cake board size is 15inch and the box is huge, looked at it yesterday and its not poss, has to go in the boot which i hate the thought of, i'll be stopping every 10mins or so to check it, think that hrs drive will turn into 3hrs, good job i can laugh about it, not!!

MikeLitoris Wed 19-Jun-13 10:49:31

How about the back seat? In my car I can fold down part of the back seat so its completely flat. Could you try that and you sit in the back with it?

I dont know if I could cope with it in the boot!

nannycook Wed 19-Jun-13 11:31:54

Hubby is taking alook now, the thought of it out of sight stressing me more than anything.

All crumb coated and sitting in the fridge, haa.x

MikeLitoris Wed 19-Jun-13 11:48:00

Im sure you will be fine with it. Just hope the weather stays nice for the wedding.

nannycook Wed 19-Jun-13 11:54:15

Nope think its raining sat! How many coats of buttrcream do you put on before you pyt your fondant on Mike? And do you put the fondant on quite thick?x

MikeLitoris Wed 19-Jun-13 13:25:22

I do a thin crumb coat, into the fridge until ready for icing. Take it out, give it a smooth over with a warm palate knife then usually put the fondant on. I have on occasion put another layer on but really didnt see a huge difference.

And again the thickness would depend on wether or notI was using marzipan as well. Slightly thicker gives a much better finish imo.

sad about the rain though. Shame its not like it is today. Saying that this heat is not good for sugar paste flowers!

nannycook Wed 19-Jun-13 13:30:05

Thanks for your help Mike.See how it goes then.x

Hi nannycook. How is the cake coming along? Hope everything goes to plan and you have a lovely day.

nannycook Fri 21-Jun-13 18:53:14

Hi 2ofsted, finished about 4 today and just put it in my profile pics, let me know what you think, i never take it for granted its good.

MikeLitoris Fri 21-Jun-13 18:55:04

Its lovely Nanny. Really lovely. You should be very please with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now