Quantities for 10" round cake tin. I am going insane!

(8 Posts)

About to make a chocolate sponge for a birthday. I want a chocolate sandwich in a 10" round tin and I'm buggered if I can find my list of quantities that I've previously used. Does anyone know?

My chocolate cake is dead simple btw, for 6oz flour I sub 1oz cocoa and it always comes out lovely so I don't need another recipe IYSWIM, just how much of everything. TIA smile

unlucky83 Wed 22-May-13 20:55:29

What kind of sponge?
Victoria sandwich type ( ie cream fat and sugar together, add eggs gradually, add flour)
Or Genoise type - whisk eggs and sugar together over heat and fold in flour (fold in melted butter at end if you want) ?

Victoria sandwich. So annoying, I know I had a list of quantities somewhere hmm

LikeTheStuffYouHangUp Wed 22-May-13 21:45:37

Take a basic recipe (8 inch round) and do a 10 inch round do 1 and a half quantities.

Is that any help?

LikeTheStuffYouHangUp Wed 22-May-13 21:48:10

What size cake does the quantities you have make? I can work backwards of its not an 8 inch round?

Smartiepants79 Wed 22-May-13 21:53:42

Mary berry says 8 oz and 4 eggs in 2 tins to make a 8 inch cake.
I think that's a big cake! I use half that to make a 7 inch in one tin.
If you are just doing one tin I would go for 8 maybe 10 oz?
Not that helpful!! grin

unlucky83 Wed 22-May-13 22:17:31

Basic quantities for a victoria sandwich 1 egg to 2oz sugar, 2oz butter and 2oz (SR) flour
For a 10 inch, (reasonably thick) I would use 12oz flour -but if your are replacing 6oz of that flour with 1 oz of cocoa I'm wondering if you don't normally use more flour -make a larger quantity -I'd be worried that might curdle (not enough flour/cocoa)?
(actually recently I've been using the weighing the eggs method - weigh eggs in shells and use the same quantity of butter, sugar and flour -so for 12oz flour - you weigh 6 eggs in shells -but use the same amount of flour etc as that weight and I've been really really impressed - guess allows for differences in egg sizes...)

nannycook Mon 27-May-13 21:37:51

Gwendoline, maybe abit late now, i checked out a cake book while our shopping today, and the quantities fir a 10square was in this book, very naughty if me but i wrote it down

Its 625grms of s/r flour, butter and caster sugar, and 12 eggs, i have to cake to make this week and one if them is a 10 inch, happy days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now