Rice flour

(12 Posts)
CheeseStrawWars Thu 09-May-13 21:59:40

You can use it to make your own Tiger Bread.

PhyllisDoris Thu 09-May-13 21:56:52

Good idea Dame. I'm constantly buying things I would never normally buy for some crazy recipe the school has sent home. I cook a lot, but have some left over ingredients I'd never normally buy :-(

Will try out a short bread recipe this weekend.

DameFanny Wed 08-May-13 18:56:33

Top tip - if you ever just need a tiny amount, get baby rice instead - costs more per pound, but you don't then find the bag at the bottom of the flour bin 5 years later...

nextphase Wed 08-May-13 18:53:34

Shortbread is the only thing I use rice flour for. It makes it very short and crumbly. Yummy!

MistyB Wed 08-May-13 18:37:23

Though it flopped in the middle sad(

MistyB Wed 08-May-13 17:08:13

I have a Victoria sponge in the oven right now. It is not quite the same as wheat so it won't be as light and fluffy as a normal one but still pretty good.

PhyllisDoris Tue 07-May-13 23:46:32

Thank you! Will check it out.

Startail Tue 07-May-13 23:37:10

Some short bread recipes are part rice flour. Mine got weevils in it so now I use Nigella's which is cornflour. (That gets used for other things and so less weevils. I never say no weevils in the cupboard it's tempting fate.)

MsPickle Tue 07-May-13 23:24:10

Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache by Harry Eastwood uses rice flour in most of the recipes, along with vegetables. I've had excellent results!

PhyllisDoris Tue 07-May-13 23:12:46

Thanks Misty. Can I use it for something like a Victoria sponge?

MistyB Tue 07-May-13 23:09:24

Yup! I use it as we don't eat wheat. It works well as a direct wheat flour substitute. I use it for pancakes, cup cakes, biscuits.

PhyllisDoris Tue 07-May-13 23:05:36

Had to buy some for recipe DD2 was making in school. She used a couple of ounces and I have the rest if the bag left. What can I use it for? Can I just substitute wheat flour with rice flour in any recipe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now