Cheap/best places for flour and yeast please?

(4 Posts)
LeBFG Sat 18-May-13 13:32:07

I just bought 500g of yeast on ebay. Cheap as chips. However, if you're just planning on making bread, why not do large quantities no-knead style dough where you leave the dough overnight? I've just made 25 or so 1kg loaves with a friend and she just used one single 10g packet of yeast for the lot! It does mean freezing the bread but it comes out fine (if you have the freezer space).

newtonupontheheath Mon 06-May-13 15:31:47

The nearest mill I can find is about 50mins away, the shop that sells their flour is further and they don't deliver!

We are in Manchester.

I popped out earlier and bought 4 bags of flour from lidl, which will do for now.

ivykaty44 Mon 06-May-13 12:11:36

I googled for a local flour mill and stuck lucky as they do sell flour in bulk and they deliver.

What county do you live in?

newtonupontheheath Mon 06-May-13 12:03:31

Getting the hang of this breadmaking lark now, but am finding we are going through quiet a bit of bread flour and yeast.

Just wondering if anybody had found anywhere (preferably online...?) to buy in bulk-ish ie bigger than a 1.5kg bag?

We have a lidl nearby but baby + toddler make it hard to get more than one bag at a time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now