Bakewell tart with sponge on top instead of ground almonds?

(7 Posts)
PhyllisDoris Tue 07-May-13 23:08:42

Without almonds it will be what my granny used to call a brama cake. Will be fine, but not a bake well tart.

Lilymaid Tue 07-May-13 11:15:16

You could substitute either semolina or ground rice for the almonds to get a similar texture.

showerhead Tue 07-May-13 11:04:24

www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/mary-berry/bakewell-tart-recipe

Mary Berry's recipe without ground almonds.

also see some of the comments on here re not using almonds
www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/apr/17/how-make-perfect-bakewell-tart

Bakingnovice Tue 30-Apr-13 08:53:05

Thanks some good ideas. Nanny, it's not really a bakewell tart really without the almonds, it's just a jam tart. I think I might go ahead and try it with ground almonds but do half almonds half flour do the almond flavour is not too powerful.

nannycook Mon 29-Apr-13 12:20:34

Baking novice, ground almonds gives it a different texture, more dense, but i guess you could always just bake ordinary sponge and use essense to give the bakewell flavour .

amazingmumof6 Mon 29-Apr-13 11:32:14

never made one, so I don't know, but would you try copped walnuts pistacchioes or hazelnuts instead? or coconuts? I'm sure any of those would be fine, or a mix of them

Bakingnovice Mon 29-Apr-13 09:59:13

Is this possible? I hate ground almonds so can I just use a 100g of sr flour/sugar/butter 2 egg sponge recipe on top of the pastry?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now