Cake mix

(11 Posts)
nannycook Tue 09-Apr-13 21:52:14

Has anyone used dry cake mix before? the one you can get in the cake decorating shop by the gram?

nannycook Tue 09-Apr-13 22:30:38

Anyone!!

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 11-Apr-13 10:33:54

No. Sorry! smile

There was a Christmas cake mix by Delia last year or something, wasn't there? Wonder if anyone did that? Can't really see the attraction myself though... I have done a DIY muffin mix though - night before put dry ingredients in a bowl, put wet ingredients in another bowl, next morning mix up and bake. Voila! Muffins for breakfast! Is that the same?

nannycook Thu 11-Apr-13 12:33:16

well our local cake dec shop uses it all the time so i told her how worried i was using my gas oven for a 12 inch cake which i havent done before on that oven and she suggested using it so i thought i'd try it, you add butter and then the water, will let you know as using it tonight, arrrgh.

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 11-Apr-13 12:51:31

I see ... Never made such a large cake myself either. Good luck!

I use cake mix from my local cake shop but only add water hmm. Never had any problems with it and always get compliments on the cakes. Have also used it for 12" cakes. Is your oven a fan oven?

nannycook Thu 11-Apr-13 20:28:03

friendly, this one says to use butter also, the amount you use is massive, did it in two go, did you have to mix well or until just mixed? well its in the oven as i text you, and i have a gas ovrn which is why i did that in the first place, wish me luck.

How was it? Sorry - having reread your post, saw you stated it was a gas oven! blush

nannycook Sun 14-Apr-13 06:36:18

friendly, it turned out ok i think, she was pleased with the cake ( party was last night) Well i moved 6mths ago to a lovely bungalow with a lovely big kitchen but it has a gas oven which i'm not used to, and with working full time and the cost of ingredients i couldnt afford to get it wrong. i've uploaded a pic for you to see, thanks for your help though.

Wow - if it tasted as good as it looks, she should have been pleased. Love the other cakes you've done too - especially the cupcakes.

nannycook Sun 14-Apr-13 07:33:20

Thank you friendly, ah the cupcakes, they were for a hairdressers in town where i work, they were having some kind of event, his shop is called Vintage, so got to work on a few bits and bobs, spent 5 hrs on those, lot of work but i was pleased with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now