Puff pastry

(23 Posts)
nannycook Tue 09-Apr-13 22:29:48

oh wannabe thats an elegant pud.

grin

Think I might make millefeuille (sp) with the puff pastry I make.

nannycook Tue 09-Apr-13 21:56:38

I have been known to have very thin millionairs shortbread cos half of it gets eaten beforehand.

Sounds wonderful! I will give that a go, thanks! smile

nannycook Tue 09-Apr-13 21:47:38

my recipe uses 150 grms, brown sugar, dark, 150 grms butter and a tin of condensed milk, melt butter and sugar, add milk and bring to the boil gently stirring all the time untill it thickens, amazing stuff, artery clogging!!!

YES!!! Me too. I think the recipe is written wrong. I am making 2cm biscuits this time instead of 6cm as it says! So glad to hear it wasnt just me!

I am using a Simon Rimmer recipe for the caramel, it uses golden syrup instead of brown sugar. Which would be nicer do you think? How much sugar do you use?

I have never had, or made lemon bars, but I know I will love them!

nannycook Tue 09-Apr-13 21:20:29

Wannabe, they are 3 of my favourite things to make, love them all, i've been banned from making them, have a fab recipe for the caramel, brown sugar, butter and tin of condensed milk, yum yum yum!!The viennese whirls recipe i use us the hairy bikers, however i made them way to big the first time and only got 8 out of them, ha ha just about got my choppers around it, sight for sore eyes!!

Ive never made puff before, but i might have a go. Saves not having it in when wanting to rustle up a pasty etc. Might try that 10min Gordon one, talking of Ramsey, my lord have i got a crush on him presently blush

hillbilly Tue 09-Apr-13 21:03:47

Rough is as complicated as it's going to get for what I'm making! Chicken and veg pasties for the kids.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 09-Apr-13 21:00:21

Ah! That's a rough puff pastry. I've made that before (Dan's recipe again wink) - it's quite straightforward. It won't just take 10 minutes though from start to finish because you need to rest the dough in between. But it's quite straightforward.

hillbilly Tue 09-Apr-13 20:53:20

This is a rough puff pastry recipe from Gordon Ramsay and is supposed to only take 10 mins.

This weekend I am making Viennese whirls (had a practice run last week and they were yum) Millionaires shortbread and Lemon bars for a family birthday, aswell as the birthday cake. So I will be busy.

But puff is going on the list for next weekend!

Those are on my wishlist...maybe for my birthday I will get them. grin

wem Tue 09-Apr-13 20:47:59

I had Michel Roux Sr.'s Pastry out of the library recently, and made puff pastry from that, which turned out well. It's ruined Just Rol for me grin, but can't imagine making it from scratch very often. I also made pain au raisin from the same book, they were yum.

I also like the time involved, although it's more being available for that length of time, rather than working continuously, iyswim?

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 09-Apr-13 20:46:31

I have his Handmade Loaf and Short and Sweet and get the weekend Guardian just for his recipes. grin

That one looks great LordCopper. I agree that Dans recipes are great. Not had any difficulty yet. His milk bread is very very good.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 09-Apr-13 20:34:59

I'm going to do this one at some point soon. Dan's recipes always work.

I have signed up for a patisserie course smile

I can see how it would be time consuming. But I like that (weirdo) I can get lost in it. If it was crap at the end though I would never do it again probably grin

nannycook Tue 09-Apr-13 20:30:45

wannabe, it isnt so much tricky but time consuming, made it in catering college 20 odd yrs ago and it took us all night and its folding and resting etc, so much easier to buy Just Rol and cheat!!

Have you tried it before?

I hear its tricky but I really want to make puff pastry!

hillbilly Tue 09-Apr-13 18:22:49

Thanks!

Yep. smile

hillbilly Tue 09-Apr-13 18:13:02

Gordon Ramsay's recipe requires strong white flour. Is it the same as bread flour?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now