Best way to make a Gingerbread House Stay Up!

(11 Posts)
OldBeanbagz Wed 20-Feb-13 21:45:43

I use thick icing and the help of two children!

You'd be amazed how long you can get them to sit still holding the house together whilst the icing sets grin

BickieBoo Wed 20-Feb-13 14:40:24

Your photo of your Gingerbread House look soo cute and professional! Well done you, not a hint of stitching anywhere!

BickieBoo Wed 20-Feb-13 14:39:29

Thanks so much everyone for some great and unusual tips on making gingerbread houses stick together. I can sympathise with the superglue, haven't tried that one yet!! Presuming the lemon juice in Royal Icing is just to keep it white?

jennimoo Tue 12-Feb-13 07:28:20

I've read melted chocolate works well.

Also, photo of mine is on profile if you want to look (long eaten now though grin ).

melted sugar, but you have to be quick, and ensure you dont burn yourself.

Royal icing, but mix in a good squeeze of lemon juice (about one quarter of a lemon for two egg whites & 100g icing sugar). Hold the relevant pieces together for about 30 seconds or so (sometimes this can take two goes) and, hey presto, sugar cement!

Mind you, on my gingerbread house thread, rips advised just using superglue...

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 06-Feb-13 21:21:26

We used caramel. A bit scary to put on, but once on it stayed on.

DoItToJulia Wed 06-Feb-13 19:59:29

Really stiff royal icing that sets as hard as cement! The stiffer the better wink

Thick buttercream. Lash it on the insides of each corner.

Gingerbread houses are more for look than taste really.

BickieBoo Wed 06-Feb-13 17:01:15

I've tried sewing the sides together, gloopy royal icing, seen use of tins on internet clips, even used bracing of dowelling rods. Normally exercise takes me a couple of hours plus. Any tips please!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now