Colouring icing - what am I doing wrong?!

(26 Posts)
MerryCouthyMows Fri 25-Jan-13 00:36:44

My DS3 can ONLY have Dr. Oetker Ready to Roll icing, as all other brands have cross contamination issues with almonds, which he is anaphylactic to.

(Fucking marzipan is the work of the devil, I've always hated it, now I hate it with a passion!)

Dr Oetker is only available locally in white or ivory.

I need black.

(Don't ask, bloody pirate obsession has resulted in a request for 'arrrr lag gakey'. Or Jolly Roger cake, for those that don't speak 'Two year old with Speech Delay'.)

So, I have been wrestling with Dr Oetker Gel Food Colour in Jet Black. I have used one whole tube to try to colour a 434g block of white icing. It is NOT fucking black. It is, at best, a medium-dark grey.

I have another two blocks the same to colour.

The colour has been the same from about halfway through the tube of food colour, it hasn't got any darker. Whhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyy?????

What am I doing wrong? What can I do to make white icing black by 2.30pm tomorrow afternoon?

Heeeeeeelllllpppppp meeeeeee pllleeeeaaase!

MerryCouthyMows Sun 27-Jan-13 21:40:17

grin Sounds like my kind of exercising - mostly because cake is the end product! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now