Baked goods in lunchboxes advice please

(23 Posts)
chocandalmonds Wed 30-Jan-13 11:00:46

apple cake. i'd do it as a traybake. freeze in portions for when you need. there are numerous recipes online.

BoringSchoolChoiceNickname Tue 29-Jan-13 21:49:22

This is pretty close to the carrot cake recipe I use - I wouldn't bother with the icing for a lunch box of course.
This is a pretty good oaty cookie recipe (nicked from Nigella's Feast I think) you can substitute the cranberries for raisins, and generally play around with the added extras.

Thewhingingdefective Tue 29-Jan-13 21:42:25

I made banana crumble muffins this week. One out of four of my kids ate them. Fussy sods. They were yum and I got the recipe from all recipes.co.uk

I also make for lunch boxes now and then -

Nigella's dense chocolate loaf cake (my friend nicknamed it sex cake)
Cheese and ham muffins
Honey and sunflower bread for sandwiches (yummy with just butter on, or with Nutella, honey, banana etc)
Shortbread
Paddington Bear marmalade buns
Brownies
Breakfast muffins (lots of fruit and oats)
Cheese jacks (savoury flapjacks)

To be honest though my kids pick and poke and end up wasting stuff so it feels like I waste my time making things. They'd rather have a Cadbury mini roll sad

Bakingnovice Tue 29-Jan-13 21:31:18

Yes yes yes to orange cake recipe!

And carrot cake muffins!

Ta muchly.

BoringSchoolChoiceNickname Tue 29-Jan-13 20:19:39

Muffins made with a carrot cake recipe, or oat and raisin cookies.

amazingmumof6 Tue 29-Jan-13 20:16:52

result!

do you want recipe for vanilla biscuit too? got orange cake one also, both very good

Bakingnovice Tue 29-Jan-13 16:51:56

Just made the gingerbread. Was lush.

nannycook Wed 16-Jan-13 19:58:37

Imum, whats the method you use for your cookies please?

coldethyl Tue 15-Jan-13 20:34:11

I make chocolate brownies with raspberries or cherries in, as a 'treat' with sneaky fruit added. They DO need to be refrigerated after you've baked them, or the fruit goes off (but I don't usually find they last that long!).

amazingmumof6 Tue 15-Jan-13 20:30:39

sorry, here comes the gingerbread man:

set oven to gas mark 4, butter/grease baking trays

in a big bowl combine all ingredients:

350g plain flour

175g light brown sugar

100g butter

1 medium egg

4 (60ml) tablespoon golden syrup

1 teaspoon (5ml) bicarb

3 teaspoon ground ginger

you can rub butter into the flour& sugar first if you like to get the sand like consistency (like top of crumbles) then add other stuff, but I've done this so much, I can't be bothered...

you can use straightaway or put in fridge for later

roll the dough (bit of flour if it sticks ) on a baking paper, stamp out shapes, place on baking sheet - leave a bit of space as they will expand slightly

bake for 15 - 18 mins in middle shelf

decorate with icing sugar, sugar balls, smarties

they will keep in a tin for days - if they make it to the tin....

I stored some dough in the fridge for up to 3 days

I'll do you a deal - you make this tomorrow and let me know the result, then I'll give you the other 2 recipes smile

deal?

Bullets Tue 15-Jan-13 19:54:07

Where are these recipes people??!!!

mrsvilliers Tue 15-Jan-13 09:57:06

I also had that problem with flapjacks but then I discovered using tahini (I know, weird). It makes them a bit healthier too as you use less butter. Recipe's here if you're interested http://www.toddler-recipes.co.uk/honey-flapjacks.html

wanabeYummyMummy Mon 14-Jan-13 23:34:36

Raisin bread is good, keeps for quite a while and doesn't dry out in a lunch box. Or if you want something sweeter marble cake always went down well with my lot, it's just basic vanilla sponge mixture with a swirl of chocolate through it

amazingmumof6 Mon 14-Jan-13 23:09:04

baking will do tomorrow evening, also have a nice vanilla biscuit recipe.

PommePoire Mon 14-Jan-13 20:38:01

Delia's Plum and Oat Squares is a yummy tray bake you can swap in whatever fruit you like.

Bakingnovice Mon 14-Jan-13 20:30:38

Please share these wonderful recipes! Scones, cheese scones (my last set of scones were like little bullets), gingerbread men and fridge cake.

These sound ideal. And thank you for the cookie recipe.

Allinonebucket Mon 14-Jan-13 18:26:08

Yes I was going to say cheese muffins or banana bread - both quick and easy!

amazingmumof6 Mon 14-Jan-13 18:20:06

muffins - you can get cheese and courgette, or carrot and apple for a healthier option

or carrot cake with raisins

I made a courgette cake once - use same recipe as for carrot cake, swap courgette for carrots

gingerbread men - can give you a fool proof recipe if you want! real fun to get kids to stamp out shapes, so you can do it at the weekend - they keep for days

fridge cake, dead easy, no cooking (again, can give you recipe)

iMum Mon 14-Jan-13 18:18:12

300g of chic chips,
8oz of butter
8oz of soft brown sugar
4oz of demerera
12 oz plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bicarb
vanilla extract

best choc chip cookies of your life

XBenedict Mon 14-Jan-13 18:17:18

Banana bread. I bought a muffin tray with individual mini loaves - perfect for lunchboxes.

janji Mon 14-Jan-13 18:15:22

Flapjack or homemade cookies

yousankmybattleship Mon 14-Jan-13 18:12:59

Mine like scones - either fruit ones or cheese with a bit of butter. Banana loaf is popular too.

I'd like to make jam tarts but they always go nuclear on me and end up coating the top of my oven in molten jam.

Bakingnovice Mon 14-Jan-13 18:06:18

My dc have packed lunch and I always try and put in a home baked treat two days of the week. This is usually something like a fairy cake, slice of lemon cake or Aztec/jam biccies/cornflake bun. What other home baked treats can I make? I'm looking for sweet ideas, healthy if possible but not necessarily, but any savoury ideas would be good too.

It has to be a quick an easy recipe. And not flapjacks cos I just can't get them bloody right so end up turning them into granola!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now