Xmas cake question Nigel slater's

(9 Posts)
kohl Sun 16-Dec-12 16:10:50

Congrats! The slater Xmas cake is delicious and v moist btw-good choice!

Molehillmountain Sun 16-Dec-12 16:10:07

If it smells nice its not burnt btw grin

Molehillmountain Sun 16-Dec-12 16:09:15

I always ice and marzipan on the same day. If you use royal icing which sounds as if you will if you want the peaks (available as packet of icing sugar that you mix with water) you won't need to do anything to the marzipan. If you're using fondant icing that you roll out you'll just need to lightly brush with water so the marzipan is just damp. Well done!smile

Brices Sun 16-Dec-12 15:52:09

Well it looks very brown but hope its not burnt, smells nice. I poured quite a bit of brandy over the top when it was still warm.
I've got the ready rolled marzipan, should you marzipan now and then leave a few days before icing? Or do you marzipan and ice together? I was thinking of doing the fluffy peaks of icing as looks "messy" for first time. And do you need to heat up the apricot jam which sticks the marzipan? Do you put another layer of apricot jam on the marzipan to stick the icing? Thanks again

Startail Sun 16-Dec-12 12:25:59

Yes, leave it stood up stops the top drying as quickly.

My awful fan oven needed several layers newspaper tied round the tin too.

Molehillmountain Sun 16-Dec-12 10:29:59

How did it go?

Brices Sat 15-Dec-12 19:13:04

Oh thank you! I'll put it in the oven now x

Molehillmountain Sat 15-Dec-12 18:48:40

No, don't fold it down. The collar of paper will protect the cake from burning because the cooking time for a rich fruit cake like a Christmas cake is so long.

Brices Sat 15-Dec-12 18:32:00

He says to leave 5cm of baking paper above the tin. I've put the mixture in put he doesn't say to then fold down the paper on top of the cake. Do you think I should fold it down or leave paper sticking up?
Sorry for dense question first timer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now