the dinner lady's bakewell tart recipe i.e recipe without ground almonds

(13 Posts)
sunnyshine Sat 15-Dec-12 20:31:59

Sent you an email but realised I need to send you another one! So will do that now!!

thebluenailbrush Sat 15-Dec-12 20:26:03

sunnyshine thanks so much , i've just sent you a pm

sunnyshine Sat 15-Dec-12 20:24:50

I have the actual dinner lady book one if you want it?

sunnyshine Sat 15-Dec-12 20:24:19

I have the actual dinner lady book one if you want it?

thebluenailbrush Sat 15-Dec-12 20:21:33

thanks everyone for all the suggestions. really helpful.
I forgot about ground rice/ semolina being used in the past and i even have some in my cupboard! i'll pick a recipe one tomorrow and let you know how it went- its to eat Thursday.

JuliaScurr Sat 15-Dec-12 13:56:51

my mum made it with ground rice smile

sunnyshine Sat 15-Dec-12 13:54:32

I have messaged you. Do you have an e mail address and I will send you a picture of the recipe? ThAnks

Lilymaid Sat 15-Dec-12 13:45:53

Ground rice or semolina makes a good substitute in texture for ground almonds.

wontwearsocks Sat 15-Dec-12 13:09:07

I love Bakewell and other almondy bakes. I tried these and they were lovely.

www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=242137

SoftSheen Sat 15-Dec-12 13:02:57

It will work fine if you use an ordinary Victoria sponge recipe (i.e. weigh 1 or 2 eggs and then use the same weight each of butter/marg, sugar and SR flour).

Adding a thinly sliced pear, or a few raspberries, plums, cherries or apricots (basically whatever is reduced in the supermarket!) will make it really nice.

KvetnutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire Sat 15-Dec-12 12:52:38
nannycook Fri 14-Dec-12 22:43:51

Nailbrush i guess you could cheat abit, ad a school cool in the past i never got to make bakewell tart, however i do make it quite alot now, last week in fact, my recipe does call for 150grms of ground almonds but dont see why you couldnt use an ordinary sponge, just be abit lighter than the more denser version, i wouldnt skimp on the amount i'd still put a generous amount in.Let me know how you get on.

thebluenailbrush Fri 14-Dec-12 13:11:09

Can anyone help? i want to make a bakewell tart next week and my book wont arrive in time from the library- basically when browsing the above book i noticed she did a bakwell tart without ground almonds- as i'm very poor this year i'd like to do the same. I will use almond essence though as i've some in the cupboard

can anyone help with a recipe? Its just the sponge filling i'm wondering about. Would a regular victoria sponge mixture with almond essence in work well and if so i resume i have to spread it fairly thinly- but not too thin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now