Can a jam sponge cook in microwave?

(16 Posts)
Bakingnovice Sat 15-Dec-12 23:53:00

Outfoxed you really wouldn't want some. It's very bland (read moorish), dry (moist if you throw on custard. Lashings of), and not at all nice (addictive!). Go have an apple instead.

pookamoo Sat 15-Dec-12 23:26:55

My mum used to always make them when we were kids.

DH & I bought a microwave when DD1 was due, as we thought it would be useful. After dinner the first evening we had it, DH went out of the room. I was flicking through the recipe book that came with the microwave and found said sponge recipe. "DH would you like some pudding?" I called through and asked him.

I whipped up a 6 minute "steamed" jam pudding, which was on the table by the time he came back in the room... his face was shock
"Where on earth did that come from?" grin

We don't have a microwave any more, but I mostly used it for defrosting things and making puddings grin

redwallday Sat 15-Dec-12 23:17:12

You shouldn't have to suffer alone!

redwallday Sat 15-Dec-12 23:16:37

Ok I'm now slobbering all over my keyboard! Don't keep all this dry, awful cake to yourselves! Share! grin

Bakingnovice Sat 15-Dec-12 22:20:58

Yes you do need custard otherwise it's a bit, erm, spongy. And v v dangerous. In fact I made mine and then rang my sister to tell her about my amazing 4 minute cake. She was horrified. But rung back 15 minutes later saying she'd made one and ate it already. And the kids had put a lemon curd one in the microwave and were waiting for the ping.

We then had a long discussion about other things you could put in the bottom: jam, treacle, lemon curd, marmalade, chocolate, bananas, syrup, white chocolate, ginger .......

For the traybake I've found a recipe which uses 225g of flour/sugar/butter and 4 eggs. Will try it later this week and report back. Will make it in the oven if I have time. The microwave pudding is excellent for mid week family pudding. I used the 50g of sr/butter/sugar recipe and we all got a nice slice.

ViperInTheManger Sat 15-Dec-12 20:23:42

I often make a golden syrup one for after tea on a Sunday. The texture can be a bit dry but we have it with custard anyway and it's lovely.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 15-Dec-12 20:21:48

I'm craving one now.

CabbageLeaves Sat 15-Dec-12 20:19:35

Too dangerous outfoxed.

CabbageLeaves Sat 15-Dec-12 20:19:06

Microwaved jam sponge and golden syrup sponge are disgusting. They take minutes and are ready for when you have that overwhelming urge for an emergency pud. Disgusting yum Really disgusting yum yum

redwallday Sat 15-Dec-12 20:16:11

Oooo this sounds good! Anyone fancy sharing a recipe? grin

Bakingnovice Sat 15-Dec-12 14:10:29

I made this today. Kids loved it. I think I had it in for a but too long
As it was a tiny but dry. Well worth it. I'm going to try and make it in a tray ale for Xmas eve as have 13 coming for dinner. Does anyone have an idea of what quantities of cake mix I would need for a tray bake the size of one of the disposable large foil trays?

VikingVagine Sat 15-Dec-12 12:28:01

The only thing I find with microwaved sponge is that it doesn't keep well at all. It's fine if you eat it all straight away, but no good to make in advance or eat in several goes.

Bakingnovice Fri 14-Dec-12 22:59:05

Doing it tmrw. Will report back! This could be very dangerous though. Cake in minutes......

FoofFighter Fri 14-Dec-12 20:47:15

Yes I do them all the time smile from no pud to pud in 6 mins or so? YES PLEASE!

BertieBotts Fri 14-Dec-12 20:41:50

I've just googled and it says that the texture will be a cross between a sponge and a steamed pudding, which sounds nice to me grin but probably nothing like a real sponge cake that you'd get from an oven.

Bakingnovice Fri 14-Dec-12 12:30:22

I've found a lovely recipe to try with the kids for jam sponge. The recipe was found on mumsnet. However I am really dubious about cooking the sponge in the microwave (a v slow low energy one). I'm worried it'll be wet and chewy. Has anyone tried this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now