Ultimate Christmas Stollen

(13 Posts)

This one is really good. I made heaps of them last year and used up leftovers in a chocolate bread and butter pudding which was amazing.

BlameItOnTheChoirOfAngels Thu 06-Dec-12 18:27:03

I left mine proving the second time for the day, in the airing cupboard while I did my day to day stuff. It rose really well and gave it a lovely texture.

Tailtwister Thu 06-Dec-12 18:17:46

Oooh, chopped nuts. That sounds like a good addition. I haven't really noticed the almonds much, so will definitely try that next time. I guess it's the whole yeast thing and ensuring it rises adequately which makes it appear tricky. Plus it's relatively time consuming and not just mixing and banging it in the oven. I'm really pleased I tried it though.

BlameItOnTheChoirOfAngels Thu 06-Dec-12 17:50:19

I roll mine, so that its a bit smaller than the dough oval, and yes a proper crust. I use chopped nuts in it rather than just almonds, it gives it a really nice bite. its bloody delicious, and, like you said, surprisingly easy to make

Tailtwister Thu 06-Dec-12 17:41:12

DH is desperately fighting his way through the traffic to get a piece before the boys trough it all! I'm sure he'll like it too.

Tailtwister Thu 06-Dec-12 17:39:34

OK, that's good. I kind of rolled the marzipan into a long sausage. Did you do that or flatten it? It's so different from the shop bought kind where the marzipan is kind of melted in. Also, mine had quite a distinct crust (not burnt, just hard like bread), where the shop bought ones are softer. Was yours like that?

I do like the recipe though and it was easier than I thought. I don't know why I was scared of making it before.

BlameItOnTheChoirOfAngels Thu 06-Dec-12 16:45:47

no, mine doesnt really melt that much, it softens into the dough. its dh's favourite recipe.

Tailtwister Thu 06-Dec-12 16:24:55

I have just tried your suggested recipe Blame. I was surprised that the marzipan didn't really melt much. Is that right or have I done something wrong?

BlameItOnTheCuervoHoHo Tue 04-Dec-12 20:33:10
BlameItOnTheCuervoHoHo Tue 04-Dec-12 20:31:37

oooh, I have one. will get it out of my tin

wem Tue 04-Dec-12 20:18:59

I'm thinking of trying a stollen, not sure yet between these two recipes:

Nigel Slater

BBC Good Food

The Nigel Slater uses fresh yeast and cardamom too. The BBC one uses rum.

I'll be taking one to my parents' for Christmas so will probably try the BBC one then as it looks a bit fancier, but might have a go at the Nigel Slater one in the meantime.

Madeupnamex Sun 02-Dec-12 14:30:30

Bump

bacon Sun 02-Dec-12 13:40:06

I made one yesterday which was Paul hollywood's. It was ok but lacked Ummf. I think the dough needs some work - has anyone come across a great recipe that using fresh/dried yeast and perhaps using a sponge method? I did forget to pop in the crushed cardamom wonder if this gives it a kick, I did soak the fruit in rum. I've had a number of lovely shop bought Stollens over the years this one seemed a tad dry and needed something extra.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now