Birthday cake that isn't plain sponge

(4 Posts)
bacon Tue 20-Nov-12 22:14:45

Have a look on BBC good food website loads of ideas on there.

Orange cake is always lovely covered in chocolate granche.

Vanilla made with proper seeds

Agree colour it pink.

DinosaurSchool Tue 20-Nov-12 21:37:51

Thanks. Yes I think I will end up with sponge after all! And Betty Crocker is amazing isn't it? I'm a massive snob when it comes to ready made cake mixes etc but oh my word since I tasted it and realised how easy it is to use I'm now a huge secret convert.

amazingmumof6 Tue 20-Nov-12 21:16:36

oh I love sponge cake, that's all I ever make for birthdays!!

you can alter a humble sponge by adding cocoa powder, vanilla, orange or almond extract, or lemon juice and lemon rind

if it's a choc cake I use seedless raspbery jam mixed with ground almonds for filling, bit different, but delicious!

you could add a bit of red food colouring so that cake is actually pink/red

great buttercream/frosting - buy Betty Crocker, yum yum!

for wow factor you can use cake sparklers (can't think of proper name) and add edible glitter

DinosaurSchool Tue 20-Nov-12 20:41:25

Its dd's 1st birthday at the weekend. I'm planning to make a round cake that I cover with plain buttercream of some kind. Then I'm going to do a rainbow-ish thing out of jelly tots and stick a candle or two in.

Anyway, I'm not fussed about it being low sugar or anything (can you tell she's my 3rd child grin) but I'm after a more interesting cake than just a victoria sandwich type. Really something that the adults would like to eat as my experience is that the kids will eat the decorations and icing but leave the cake.

I thought of maybe banana cake but with what icing/buttercream? Would it be a bit heavy? And then I thought maybe lemon?

Thanks for any advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now