6" & 9" cake mix quantities pleeeeeeeease!

(10 Posts)
SugarandCrumbs Mon 19-Nov-12 11:13:29

I can't believe you think too much cake is a problem! smile

Give this page a whirl to help with quantity conversions, cake portions and tin capacity:

sugarandcrumbs.com/wheretostart

LadyDamerel Wed 14-Nov-12 23:08:10

No point in being half-arsed about it grin.

lentilweavinghippy Wed 14-Nov-12 22:58:17

Oh my gosh, so the original recipe was right! Wow, it's gonna be a monster!

Ah well, go big or go home eh? wink

Cheers for your help!

LadyDamerel Wed 14-Nov-12 22:40:00

Sorry, it's late, I'm clouding the issue grin.

9" cake - 10 eggs, 20oz each of butter/sugar/flour, quick splash of vanilla essence.

6" cake - 6 eggs, 12 oz each butter/sugar/flour, quick splash of vanilla essence.

It sounds a lot but it will give you a really impressive cake.

2 tiers look rubbish if each tier is a bit poxy and thin!

lentilweavinghippy Wed 14-Nov-12 22:36:23

My brain hurts! confused

LadyDamerel Wed 14-Nov-12 22:31:59

Oh, forgot to say, square tins need MORE mix than round so a 10" square would need the same amount of mix as a 11" round.

LadyDamerel Wed 14-Nov-12 22:30:11

That's what I use to do those sizes of cakes. It will give you cakes that are about 3.5 - 4" tall in total once they're filled and iced.

You will have to trim the tops a little in order to make the cakes perfectly level so they look good once they're stacked - my advice would be to trim them, then turn the top layer of each cake upside down so the trimmed section is in the middle. It will give you a much neater finish when you ice them.

lentilweavinghippy Wed 14-Nov-12 22:22:58

Sorry, they are round tins. Is 10" square about the same as 9" round then?

Am I being thick or would that not make 9 eggs altogether? Or would you use 2 eggs in each 6" tin? Thanks ever so much :-)

I don't know if you're doing square or round. If it helps with proportions, I do a 3 egg mix in a 10 inch square tin (twice) or split the same quantity bewtween two standard Victoria sandwich tins. So assuming your cakes are roughly the same size as mine, I'd be using a total of 10 eggs.

(I weigh the eggs then use the exact same weight of flour, butter and sugar)

HTH smile

lentilweavinghippy Wed 14-Nov-12 21:39:42

I am making a birthday cake tomorrow and (rather ambitiously) plan to create a 2-tier stacked affair.

The recipe book I have says 5 eggs & 9oz flour sugar & butter FOR EACH LAYER!!! So 10 eggs in total. This is madness, no?

Then says 3 eggs 5 oz everything else for each layer of the 6 inch cake.

16 eggs, 28 oz flour etc....This seems like WAY too much cake mix, would it make really huge tall cakes???

I've googled it & got many different answers, could someone please give me a definite answer before I drive myself loopy? I would be incredibly grateful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now