Flour storage

(8 Posts)
castlelough Wed 07-Nov-12 23:33:10

Thanks Blue and Birdy wink

BirdyArms Wed 07-Nov-12 18:40:23

I used to keep mine in Kilner jars on a shelf and it was fine, never had any bug problems - now moved house so they're in a cupboard. If you can I would put the jars you use the most at the front so that the flour that you are likely to be keeping longer doesn't get as much light.

Anything that was living in it or it's eggs will be dead but they will still be in the flour. No harm to anyone eating it and a little more protein smile

castlelough Wed 07-Nov-12 18:35:27

Blueberry I was hoping by freezing the flour there wouldn't be anything to sift out?!

Yup, freezer then dark cupboard should be fine. Be sure to sift out the bugs before use ;)

castlelough Tue 06-Nov-12 23:01:27

Thanks blueberry. Was thinking about storing in a cupboard with chicken wire in the doors of the cupboard, hence the light/dark issue.
It would have looked do pretty all lined up on a shelf in there! grinblush
I certainly don't have space in my freezer ( counted 8 bags of flour in fridge this evening!) so do you think it would be ok to freeze the flour and then store in a dark cupboard in an airtight kilner jar?

<sighs and wonders why modern housing doesn't incorporate some traditional pantry cold storage>

It is best stored in a dark place, in the fridge is ideal as long as the container is air tight so it does not absorb any moisture or odours/flavours from the fridge. Another alternative it to transfer it to ziplock freezer bags and store it in the freezer, again it needs to be air tight so it doesn't absorb moisture.

castlelough Tue 06-Nov-12 16:06:32

Is it okay to store flour in kilner type jars, on a shelf in the kitchen where they will be exposed to light?
Or is it best stored in the dark/in a cupboard?

Currently have about five types of flour cluttering up my fridge (keeping the creepy crawlies at bay) but I read recently that if you freeze your bags of flour for a few days it kills
any creepy crawly eggs in the flour and they are then safe to store in airtight containers elsewhere...
Just wondering if light exposure is okay?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now