Anyone up for a weekly GBBO challenge?

(178 Posts)
evilwem Wed 10-Oct-12 13:54:57

I've been wanting to have a go at the 8 strand plaited loaf since they did it in week 2(?), but never get round to it. I wondered if anyone else has been itching to have a go at anything else - we could share triumphs and disasters smile No judges proclaiming our bottoms are too soggy or anything though.

twolittlelovelies Fri 23-Nov-12 10:57:34

Count me in too. When are we starting? The thread seems to have gone quiet?

bluebird68 Fri 16-Nov-12 10:42:39

update. My baked doughnuts kept well. I ate the last yesterday. The rolled in butter ones obviously kept better but the others were not stale. I don't think the unbuttered ones would have lasted another day and the buttery ones were staring to get wet from the interaction of the sugar and butter. But that's better keeping qualities than fried yeasted doughnuts!

bluebird68 Tue 13-Nov-12 11:33:43

oh forgot to say, if you roll them in the butter when they are still very hot, as opposed to just warm they absorb a frightening amount of butter! a good compromise for me was to dip tops in butter and then roll in sugar. I , like most bakers, have asbestos hands!

bluebird68 Tue 13-Nov-12 11:13:04

and now i'm bowing out of this thread as I need to think of my cholesterol levels. Its been fun!

bluebird68 Tue 13-Nov-12 11:10:44

right made some mini baked doughnuts today and they were lovely!
used this recipe- halved it (so i now have half an egg in the fridge) and it made around 1 and half pans using a mini muffin tin.

bunsinmyoven.com/2009/08/26/sugar-donut-muffins-quicker-than-going-out-and-buying-donuts/

I used cinnamon in the mixture instead of nutmeg but next time i'd try without or use just a pinch as i found the amount quite pronounced and possibly not to kids tastes. Ditto with the topping - prefer with just sugar , i used mixture of brown and white and also tried white alone. All very good (i do like cinnamon usually!) They are nice with or without having been rolled in butter. OK they are nicer rolled in butter and then sugar and it helps to stick the sugar but nice without. Next test is to see how long they stay fresh. I think they need to be rolled in butter to help with that so i'll keep a few of each and see what they are like tomorrow and the next day. ah cake testing , don't you love it! They were my late breakfast so having a healthy lunch later or possibly skip it entirely and have a slightly early dinner.

They looked pretty and were super easy. Didn't take a pic as too much hassle.
would be lovely for a kids party or to take to work .

bluebird68 Tue 13-Nov-12 09:30:20

thanks for pointing that out wem. i forgot to save it !

i think with my leftover puff i will be using it to top a savoury Pie. If there are any bits leftover from that then i'll probably make some individual apple tarts (open topped pretty ones) or whatever other fruit works well.

I'm set on doughnuts of some sort then i'm out. Need to cut back on my fat intake i think!

Has anyone ever used doughnut pans? (for baking them) we have a lakeland here and i am contemplating buying one.

wem Mon 12-Nov-12 11:13:52

Hi bluebird - can't see a queen of puddings pic on your profile...

Glad your pithivier was tasty, the most important thing! I have a half quantity of puff pastry left over and not sure what to do with it - any suggestions?

What would you do next instead of doughnuts?

bluebird68 Sat 10-Nov-12 09:54:50

forgot to say fantastic looking loaf buttons and now i know you pull the ends off helps demystify things at the end of the plait!

bluebird68 Sat 10-Nov-12 09:47:43

so made my pithivier. It wasn't good enough to take a photo and then have the hassle of uploading it so i didn't bother. It was however very tasty. Would i make puff pastry again? maybe for a special occasion . I learnt you really need to work quickly, keep everything as cold as possible all the time ( i have a marble rolling pin and the pastry still started to melt when i was faffing around cutting the shapes and assembling it all.) Obviously tasted nicer than shop bought but an awful lot of hassle, plus puff not my favourite pastry at all, never has been. Shortcrust all the way for me, even for sausage rolls.

i did upload my queen of puddings pic , sorry its so small.

welcome newbies!

i love the idea of making jam doughnuts because it is quite a challenge BUT i don't actually like jam doughnuts so see little point in spending time and money on this . In my home town is a stall that fry in front of you small ring doughnuts of the cakey variety that are my favourites (yum) . I may do another type of doughnut, years ago i made Koeksisters which were lovely and not hard at all. I fried them in a frying pan rather than deep fat fryer/saucepan of oil. My italian sweet book has Honey and spice twist which are a yeasted dough, fried than rolled in sugar- they are eaten on christmas eve in Italy. Or i may try baked doughnuts- I was intrigued by the fact that the baked ones on the Guardian link got a pretty good review- she said they lacked the crispness you get from fried products.

bluebird68 Sat 10-Nov-12 09:33:32
NervousAt20 Sat 10-Nov-12 04:01:59

I'm in smile I can't find the recipe onthe net though, does anyone have the link?
Ill get the stuff I need tomorrow and make my attempt Sunday

<disclaimer - I like to bake but baking hates does not like me>

Just discovered this thread...I made the plaited loaf last week - picture here

Doughnuts sound good smile

wem Thu 08-Nov-12 13:30:43

I like the idea of doughnuts, but I'm nervous of doing them without a deep fryer. I watched the masterclass and Paul Hollywood was quite specific about the temperature of the oil, which I'd have no way of checking.

I would recommend the scrambled egg croustades with crab. They are heavenly.

I've yet to prepare my pithivier. It's been one of those weeks! Can we chooses something else to move onto? I quite fancy the doughnuts. ;)

wem Thu 08-Nov-12 07:53:56

I just followed the Michel Roux one I linked to further back. I didn't aim for a particular shape when bashing the butter (sounds like a euphemism for something!), just chopped it in half and put them side to side so it was roughly the right rectangular kind of shape and whacked it a few times with the rolling pin!

You're right about the egg wash being a waste of eggs - but it does make it pretty smile

I've got the Michel Roux Pastry book out of the library now - DH has requested croissants next, so I might be veering away from GBBO.

bluebird68 Wed 07-Nov-12 13:59:50

i had to start again as the butter got too soft- oh and made silly mistake of measuring out vinegar over the iced water- ended up with about 3 TBS in it rather than 1/2 teaspoon. So poured away and started again- at least i only wasted water and vinegar! must stop that bad habit.

bluebird68 Wed 07-Nov-12 13:57:17

i couldn't make my mind up but have decided to do individual apple pithiviers and freeze the remaining pastry. Its in the fridge at the mo, waiting for more turns.

I found bashing out the butter into the right size and shape really tricky. I don't remember it being hard to do at school which just shows how much easier it is when you have real life demo in front of you and a teacher walking around to help with queries along the way. The other hard thing is how many different methods there are- which to choose? Mine is cobbled between Paul Hollywoods and Gordon Ramseys. Neither gave enough info for me to feel completely confident after so many years but between the two i seem to have sorted it out. we shall see. I also used half plain flour, half strong flour. No eggs- seemed a waste of eggs and extra expense.

I also found this version on the internet which looked easy.

www.foodbeam.com/2008/04/10/reussir-la-pate-feuilletee-pas-a-pas-mastering-puff-pastry-step-by-step/

wem Sat 03-Nov-12 09:30:33

Cheers, I got my cakes back when I lost my evil smile

Yes, it was frustrating cutting out two circles without being able to push the offcuts together to save waste. Not the most economic of shapes!

I did a fairly basic chicken and mushroom filling in the end, was tasty though. Were you going to do a sweet one?

bluebird68 Sat 03-Nov-12 08:04:47

well done, looks great and bet it tasted wonderful. Fantastic cakes btw!

i can't remember how they did the scalloped edges on the programme but i saw a quick way on youtube where you make cuts along the edges and then push out with your thumb. Looked fine to me and i'm not even sure about proper scalloped edges, seems a waste of some hard made pastry! Agree with the sunshine effect on the top though, makes a great effect.

wem Fri 02-Nov-12 18:46:06

Woohoo! That was lots of fun. Pic on profile. The puff pastry was so much nicer than shop-bought.

I didn't do the proper scalloped edges, I did crimp it but that disappeared when I baked it. Pleased I bothered to do the spiral lines though, it's a great effect.

wem Fri 02-Nov-12 14:04:17

No, I abandoned it. If I'd had the extra flour I might have attempted to even it up, but I was doing half quantity as I didn't have enough flour in the first place.

Been out to get more flour and tried again smile. Going better so far, have just rolled it out and folded it up for the first time. It's hard work rolling out cold pastry + cold butter!

bluebird68 Fri 02-Nov-12 13:38:06

oh no. Did you save it? i've done that a few times when scaling down recipes! I think i'll be doing mine next weekend as i have family coming over. Today i made part 1 of Queen of puddings- the baked custard bit. Its now in the fridge waiting for jam and meringue tomorrow. I made 2 minis scaling down recipe to just 1 egg. i'll post a pic sunday.

wem Fri 02-Nov-12 10:42:40

First step on the puff pastry has gone a bit wrong. Halved all the ingredients as I didn't have enough plain flour - except I forgot to halve the water. Gloopy sticky mess all over the kitchen surface!

The sad thing is as it happened I imagined the GBBO cameras zooming in on my disaster grin. Put me right off applying!

The Roux pastry book is great. He has some great recipes in there but lots of tips and guidance as well. I thoroughly recommend it. I use the Roux egg book a lot too as the methodology is so reliable for me. I just get on with his style IYKWIM.

I'm glad you are back to Wem, it's much nicer.

When I freeze any pastry I just put into a freezer back, squash out any excess air then place the bag in a plastic container. I write on the container with a sharpie what the item is and when it was made. It takes a little bit more effort but all pastry looks the same when frozen, as I have learnt from past experience!

bluebird68 Thu 01-Nov-12 16:36:41

or if you have room stick it in a freezable airtight box- again i'd probably wrap it in something first .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now