Sugarcraft chat

(633 Posts)
wem Tue 24-Apr-12 19:34:19

I started a thread for cake people a while back but it got a bit lost in Chat so thought I'd try to tempt people into our lovely new baking topic.

Hopefully I'll see some of the posters from the chat thread, but for any new people popping in, introductions: I'm wem, I'm a recent cake obsessive and have been bothering mumsnetters about it a fair bit as I'm starting up cake decorating business. I don't have anywhere near the experience or knowledge of some of the posters in here, but I do have an excessive willingness to chat about cake smile

Let's try this again, eh?

OhDearSpareHeadTwo Tue 20-Nov-12 20:37:25

Wem, you could try looking around for your nearest branch of the British Sugarcraft Guild and start going to meetings. They have demos and classes, clubs work on exhibition work together and it's a good way to network with other sugarcrafters, teachers and suppliers. it's quite cheap.

You could also look at your local sugarcraft stores etc to see places doing short courses - there's a lady near me that does 1 day courses focusing on 1 thing (eg. large wedding roses, daffodils) for about £40 that are run at the weekend. Lots of places offer this now. Would give you a taster of doing classes and expand your skills

OhDearNigel Tue 20-Nov-12 20:40:25

changed smile

bacon Tue 20-Nov-12 22:30:35

I'm off to a 'Squires' chocolate class after christmas, expensive 3 days but lucky that my brother lives quite close so I can stay there. Sadly most courses are in the S East. Tomorrow I'm off to Abergavenny to a short christmas topper class. I decided not to bother with the LA class as I couldnt commit the same day every week and our business is really busy now.

I shall be bombarding the lecturer with questions tomorrow, so much she'll be sick of me!

wem Thu 22-Nov-12 13:57:31

The BSG is a good idea OhDear, there is one 30mins away, I'll investigate after Christmas smile

bacon - the chocolate sounds like great fun, have you done much with chocolate before?

OhDearNigel Fri 23-Nov-12 16:37:27

Course report please Bacon, when you've been smile

nannycook Fri 23-Nov-12 21:57:34

Bacon really jealous your doing that, where in abergavenny is it? how often does this come up? and is it only on a Sat?

CelineMcBean Sun 25-Nov-12 18:22:04

Hello, hope you don't mind me butting in but a lovely MNer on another thread suggested posting here.

I've lost the details for a celebration cake making MNer in Kent and I need a cake just before new year. If anybody can help with supplying a cake please pm. The party is a few miles from Ashford and I pay the going rate of course.

Thank you

wem Tue 27-Nov-12 14:10:42

Hi CelineMcBean, I'm sorry, I don't really know who's based where so not sure who to point you towards. I'm up north so can't help I'm afraid.

Blueberry - you make normal cakes to sell as well don't you? I've just been looking at my costings and trying to work out what to charge. What kind of margin do you have? I've gone for about £5 per cake on top of ingredients costs, but that doesn't take into account electricity for the oven or anything else. I'm not sure if that's about right, or doing myself down, or what...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now