What name do you secretly love but would never use for your child?

(789 Posts)
CuppaTeaJanice Sat 04-Oct-08 21:29:25

For me it's Silas - it reminds me of the adventure programmes I used to watch as a kid. I think one of my first crushes must have been on a character called Silas.

I did suggest it for DS1 (vetoed by DP), but thinking about it I wouldn't want to call my son Silas and I can't really explain why.

Does anybody else have a name that they wouldn't use, but really like nonetheless...?

StayFrosty Sat 04-Oct-08 21:37:50

Laurence. When first pg with dd, we were discussing names with some friends, I mentioned Laurence as I like it, I like Laurie for short cos I love Little Women. But my mate's DH phsl and said 'here's something you'll never ever hear: "fucking hell, did you see Laurence take out those two ninjas? He's rock hard, Laurence is" ' so we were firmly put off, cos really if you have a ds, you kind of want him to be able to fight two ninjas off, don't you? sad

Agree with Moonlight I love Lolita

EachPeachPearMum Sat 04-Oct-08 21:38:31

Septimus- DH says No, but I adore it!
Rufus too- but DH cannot pronounce 'R's very well blush

Cecily Margot - DC2 is going to be a boy, and there won't be any more after this one! smile

Lizzylou Sat 04-Oct-08 21:41:00

I love Gabriel, Noah, James (significant ex) and Lucien ( I love, DH not so much), all boys names I wasn't allowed to use.

I know a Clementine and she is utterly beautiful.

Lizzylou Sat 04-Oct-08 21:41:27

My DS2 is at the childminders with a Rufus, it is a fab name!

toddlerhip Sat 04-Oct-08 21:41:46

Orlando!

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Sat 04-Oct-08 21:50:25

Myfanwy blush

dinkymum Sat 04-Oct-08 21:52:34

Sidney but Dh and everyone else forbids it! but I just love it!! pregnant with number 2 right now dont know if boy or girl still yet but if a boy would really love Sidney! lol
Toddler hip- good taste!

wahwah Sat 04-Oct-08 21:53:34

Manon, Miriam, Morfydd, Arianwen, Octavia, Eluned...so, so many...

CuppaTeaJanice Sat 04-Oct-08 21:54:17

Between you, you've named most of DS's friends!!!!!grin

noah and lazarus grin

Marcie

PS. I also love Ramona Ivykaty

fruitstick Sat 04-Oct-08 21:56:51

A few of these are on my names list, although you have put me off Benedict! I love Miriam but she was very annoying in Sons and Lovers.

DS1 is called Fred so Florence and Rose have been removed from my girls list!

Janni Sat 04-Oct-08 21:57:43

Sharon

I wanted to be Sharon K., my friend when I was 7 and I've always liked the name despite everything.

2point4kids Sat 04-Oct-08 21:58:13

Indiana

Loved it, but it was just to wacky in the end to go with the rest of the family!

I still love it but couldnt ever use it.

hatrick Sat 04-Oct-08 22:02:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ellbell Sat 04-Oct-08 22:02:23

I admitted on here to liking Cressida and was told it was off-the-scale of ponciness. Also liked Meriel till I told one friend I liked it and she mocked it. sad

Would have loved to have used a Cornish name (Morwenna and Columb would be my favourites) but dh having none of it.

Miyazaki Sat 04-Oct-08 22:03:55

Djuna
Pepper
Annie
Arlo

hughjarssss Sat 04-Oct-08 22:04:01

Primrose

Lizzylou Sat 04-Oct-08 22:04:07

Shit, DS2 is Benedict

AAh well, he will rise above, he is obsessed with his "Bendy Dick"!!!

fanjolina Sat 04-Oct-08 22:04:44

Elvis. Great name, but too connected to Mr Presley.

LynetteScavo Sat 04-Oct-08 22:06:15

Milo

Ooooo Pepper is a FAB name Miyazaki.

But I would never use it

LynetteScavo Sat 04-Oct-08 22:06:58

And I've always loved Arnold.

PinkPurple Sat 04-Oct-08 22:10:55

I've always lurved Daisy, but I'm not quite sure why I wouldnt use it...in fact I've no idea why DD isnt a Daisy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now