Emelia or Emilia

(13 Posts)
MummySparkle Thu 01-May-14 18:15:58

I love the name, but I'm not sure what people think the 'most common' spelling is?

Our surname is unusual and hard to spell, so I don't want little miss to have an uncommon variant of the name.

I know which version I prefer, but I'd like to gather other opinions please

Thank you thanks

JonathanGirl Thu 01-May-14 18:18:29

I would think Emilia with an "i" is most common (but Amelia if it starts with an a)

flavourflave Thu 01-May-14 18:20:35

Agree with above poster

Blueberrybaby Thu 01-May-14 18:22:01

Emilia is the most common spelling - or at least I think so. I'm pretty sure if you check the ONS stats there will be more Emilia's than Emelia 's.

florascotia Thu 01-May-14 18:25:26

The correct spelling of Emilia is Emilia.

Emelia is an incorrect spelling (or, to be more polite - I really, really don't mean to be rude - a personal version) of Amelia.

Surprisingly, although they sound so similar, Amelia (and Amelie and Amalia) and Emilia (and Emily) have completely different origins.

Emilia (and Emily) originate from a family name in ancient Rome.

Amelia (and Amelie and Amalia - this last is the earliest version of the name) originate from an old German word that means 'work'.

SlinkyB Thu 01-May-14 18:25:38

I prefer Emelia tbh.

thatstoast Thu 01-May-14 18:25:52

Amelia is the number one girls name at the moment so I would consider both Emelia and Emilia to be uncommon (or less popular) variations of a popular name. I think Emilia is better than Emelia though.

maggiethemagpie Thu 01-May-14 21:21:44

Love Emilia. Please don't spell it Emelia

BigfootFiles Thu 01-May-14 21:24:54

Emilia, assuming you want "Em-eel-ee-ah". I would think Emelia was pronounced "Eh-mell-ee-ah".

MummySparkle Thu 01-May-14 21:36:26

Phew! I love Emilia, I was hoping you would all agree!

I think it's the way to go, my phone autocorrects Emelia to 'Merlin'!! LOL

Tea1Sugar Fri 02-May-14 16:39:09

My newborn two week old dd is Emilia so I'm biased. Love love the name smile

badtime Sat 03-May-14 15:10:19

I think you should go with Merlin grin

HandragsNGladbags Sat 03-May-14 16:32:29

I know a Merlin!!

Agree with PP's Emelia would be pronounced E-mel-e-ah, and imo look like you were trying to be different.

Either Amelia or Emilia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now