Alice and Olive for sisters - good together or just too similar?

(49 Posts)
aliboo7 Thu 01-May-14 13:45:27

I'm expecting a baby girl at the end of May and we love the name Olive. My older daughter is Alice and although I think they go really well together (in terms of name type) I'm a bit worried they are just a bit too similar? What do you think? We have a long European surname so are looking for a short, traditional, English first name - any other suggestions? TIA!

skinmysunshine Thu 01-May-14 13:47:45

I think they are lovely together.

rinabean Thu 01-May-14 13:50:26

Too similar for first names for me but it would be fine as her middle name.

ThursdayLast Thu 01-May-14 13:54:34

Think they sound lovely together.

Thurlow Thu 01-May-14 14:03:31

As someone who has a name which is quite similar to their mum's - stand at the bottom of the stairs and holler both names and see if someone upstairs can tell the difference. If they can, you're fine grin

evamummy Thu 01-May-14 14:17:49

Quite similar in terms of sound and syllables, especially when said quickly. Thurlow's idea is a good one!

aliboo7 Thu 01-May-14 16:00:18

Thanks all - and I will definitely give the 'stairs test' a go!

funnyoldonion Thu 01-May-14 16:38:01

I don't think they're too similar! Lovely together x

Lovely together. I must say them funny because to me they sound nothing alike!
Alice was my grandmas name. I intend to use it if we ever had a dd.

NadiaWadia Thu 01-May-14 18:15:32

Alice is a beautiful name, 100 times better than Olive, so it seems a bit unfair on DD2. Plus the start of each name is a bit too similar, 'Al' and 'Ol'.

flavourflave Thu 01-May-14 18:23:10

So agree with Nadia! I would so hate being olive against Alice! Esp with young girl tastes which are less refined. I guess one might start appreciating the name olive when they squire the taste.

flavourflave Thu 01-May-14 18:23:26

Aquire

flavourflave Thu 01-May-14 18:24:43

Blinking heck mean acquire! How about Orla?

WowOoo Thu 01-May-14 18:25:55

I do prefer the name Alice, but then she was first born so gets the best name!
Think they sound lovely together. Olive is a nice name too. Not as common as Alice. I cannot think of an Olive that I know. It makes me like it a little bit more!

LizzieMint Thu 01-May-14 18:27:48

Maybe slightly similar but different enough I think. My DD is called Alice Olivia. smile

LizzieMint Thu 01-May-14 18:29:24

Meant to add, named after our grans, an Alice and an Olive. smile

MummySparkle Thu 01-May-14 18:37:53

I lone them ) and I think they go well as sibling names. I think having different initials is more important than the names sounding completely different. Nothing worse than getting post to 'Miss L Surname' and not knowing whose it is!!

AmIGoingMad Thu 01-May-14 18:41:47

Really nice combination smile

Bowlersarm Thu 01-May-14 18:44:58

Poor Olive! She would always be envious of her elder sister with the much prettier name.

Olivia is so much nicer, for some reason.

thewreckofthehesperus Thu 01-May-14 18:45:44

One if those is my first name. It has happened on occasion that people have mistaken my name for the other one you mention on introduction or calling back after leaving a Voice mail! I would think they're too similar.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 01-May-14 19:18:59

I would have thought Olive would be fine, whereas something like Anna or Agnes would be a problem.

Emma
Hannah
Honor
Ivy
Margo
Polly

flavourflave Thu 01-May-14 19:30:21

Alice in wonderland... So Wendy from peter pan?

Alice is a name little girls like to be called. I know a little girl who has this as her pretend name... Along with Hope, Olivia and Charlotte. Love Olivia but think its no 1 in name charts.
How about Coralie or Rosalie? They are as pretty as Alice. Jojo, Clara, Imogen, Amy and Lydia are also lovely and stand shoulder to shoulder with Alice

Alice is lovely and Olive isn't so they are definitely not too similar.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 01-May-14 20:07:00

My DD has Alice as a middle name, we toyed for so so long whether to use it as a first name. This baby will be Olive if its a girl, so I think you have marvellous taste

BikeRunSki Thu 01-May-14 20:07:11

I don't think they sound similar at all! They look similar, but there are enough different letters that they sound different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now