Indie

(39 Posts)
PreciousPeach Thu 24-Apr-14 22:13:25

What do you think? For a dd btw grin I know it's probably a bit of a marmite name! It's short and quirky which we like (we are more than likely going to end up with something a little "off centre" iykwim wink

It also goes well with our ds name.

We also like India but it is already used by a classmate of ds, plus I feel like it would be weird when we don't have any connections to the country and never been there hmm

TeamEdward Thu 24-Apr-14 22:15:35

I once met a little Indie. I misheard and thought she was India. Parents were quick to correct me and showed me her lunchbox which proudly had her full name emblazoned across it - "Indiana Janes"

PreciousPeach Thu 24-Apr-14 22:21:06

Pmsl @ Indiana Janes grin

saffronwblue Fri 25-Apr-14 00:25:45

DS has a male friend, 16, called Indiana, known as Indie.

CoffeeChocolateWine Fri 25-Apr-14 00:47:04

I know a little girl whose nn is Indie. I always assumed it was short for India but actually it's Indigo. It's not really my taste but it's kind of growing on me as I get to know this little girl better...she's a sweetheart.

I love it for a nn for my non existent DD. Would probably use Indira or India as full name.

TheRealMaryMillington Fri 25-Apr-14 00:52:23

I went out, briefly with a beautiful man called Indy. I quite like it.

PreciousPeach Fri 25-Apr-14 01:01:45

It's the only name for a dd my dh and I agree on and neither feel like we are compromising! I will go with a more "formal" middle name....well second middle name

We were thinking Indie Clementine _______ insert more formal family name here (probably my mums)

Tenrec Fri 25-Apr-14 02:46:49

I know a boy called Indigo, nn Indie.

TheAwfulDaughter Fri 25-Apr-14 02:50:45

It just looks like an incomplete name. Call her India, nn Indie. I really wouldn't worry about it being a country you haven't visited, no ones going to pull you up on it ever.

Or what about Indigo? I know of one, and she seems to be very gorgeous and very clever. The hippyish name hasn't held her back! I prefer it to India I think...

stripeylion3 Fri 25-Apr-14 02:51:04

My niece is Indie May, we love it.

PreciousPeach Fri 25-Apr-14 03:10:19

stripeylion how has the name been received in general? Indie May is really sweet!

spatchcock Fri 25-Apr-14 03:13:44

I really like it. I also met an Inti recently (a boy). That's a cool name too.

findingherfeet Fri 25-Apr-14 10:24:15

Love indie and much prefer indie or indira to India

PeaceLillyDoge Fri 25-Apr-14 12:39:40

Having seen some of your other namethreads I think we're on the same page re baby names. Something a little off Centre but not batshit crazy.

I love Indie and think it's a perfectly good name.

Our DD is called Juno and we gave her a more "normal" middle name in case she hated her off Centre first name later.

Others we considered were:

Astrid
Isis
Hera (DP hated this but I seriously considered it so it counts) smile
Aster
Lena

PreciousPeach Fri 25-Apr-14 13:37:59

PeacheLilyDoge grin @ something a little off centre but not batshit crazy!!! Yep that pretty much sums up my style. I LOVE Juno, that was what I had picked for my last pregnancy if it was a dd but I miscarried unfortunately sad so even though I adore it at the moment I feel I can't use it (though that may change with my head wrecking indecisionsmile

Astrid is also on my list and I love Hera (also Hero but not brave enough)

hungrybadger Fri 25-Apr-14 15:25:02

I know a boy called Indie, seems to be a very unisex name.

PreciousPeach Fri 25-Apr-14 21:33:07

Yeah agree re unisex name, though I have never met one if either sex.

IamInvisible Fri 25-Apr-14 21:36:53

I know an Indie. Her parents were always going to give her a name a little "off centre" too. From the minute I heard it I loved it, as far as I know she has had mainly positive responses on the name. Older people are the ones who have been a bit hmm about it, but they can be strange any way!wink

newtonupontheheath Fri 25-Apr-14 21:39:57

My dd is an indie, full name Indira. She really suits it. I love it.

Good choice op grin

Jenda Fri 25-Apr-14 21:43:29

LOVE it for my future DD. However my DP has vetoed and my Mum would make "indie house, indie garden" jokes. Lucky you for being allowed it smile

PeaceLillyDoge Fri 25-Apr-14 22:17:50

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage. Can see why you would want a different name for your next DD.

I really like Hero too but I worried it crossed the "batshit crazy" line I'd set in my head.

Indie is a gorgeous name, love it! smile

moreyear Fri 25-Apr-14 22:39:01

I do think it's a pretty name but there is or was a character on 'Neighbours' called Indie (My SD was an avid viewer and I unfortunately got to listen to many episodes) which ruined it a bit for me.

dontevenblink Sat 26-Apr-14 08:28:50

It gets used here in New Zealand a bit, I know a couple of girls in DD's school with the name. The link to our top 100 girl names if you want to have a look (a few different ones to the UK I think):
www.dia.govt.nz/Pubforms.nsf/URL/Top100GirlsBabyNamesNewZealand2013.pdf/$file/Top100GirlsBabyNamesNewZealand2013.pdf

Yetanotherbloodynamechange Sat 26-Apr-14 08:30:12

I really like indie, do not like India or Indiana though

Indie is pretty

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now