Beatrix or Camilla?

(25 Posts)
RaisinGirls Thu 10-Apr-14 09:53:32

Just that really, which do you prefer? Pretty much got the list nailed down to those final two and am 39+6 today so guessing I'll need to decide soon grin.

Or any other suggestions along similar lines?

FelixFelix Thu 10-Apr-14 09:55:41

Beatrix! My dd's middle name is Beatrix and I wish I'd given it her as a first name.

Really not keen on Camilla.

ShadowFall Thu 10-Apr-14 09:56:37

I love Camilla.

But DH vetoed it because of the Duchess of Cornwall connection sad

Timetoask Thu 10-Apr-14 09:57:11

I love Camilla (despite the link to royal family!). It reminds me of a girl at my school who was absolutely lovely and funny. If I had a girl I would have called her Camilla.

Cosima
Annouk
Anja
Callista
Margot
Carmel
Bernadette

From your two, I think I prefer Beatrix. Camilla is a beautiful name which conjours up an image of a rich old woman wearing furs, for some reason. It's a sort of luxurious name. Beatrix is a bit quirkier and unusual, but recognisable too.

MissUumellmahaye Thu 10-Apr-14 09:59:28

I love them both. Do you like Camille?

RaisinGirls Thu 10-Apr-14 10:14:07

Not sure on Camille, sounds almost unfinished to me.

I quite like Callista and Margot too.

I was worried about the Royal connection, especially as I am a staunch Republican, but then I thought to myself, they can't 'own' a name and I can 'reclaim' it for the people grin

squoosh Thu 10-Apr-14 11:30:09

Half of my brain likes Camilla and thinks Cam is a nice nickname and the other half of my brain shrieks 'NOIT'SSABRAYINGHORSEYNAME'

Beatrix is okay but I don't like Bea.

MissUumellmahaye Thu 10-Apr-14 11:32:43

You see, I like Camille because I think you'd be much less likely to end up with her being called Milly as a NN.

JanePurdy Thu 10-Apr-14 11:38:47

I love Camilla. But Beatrix is nice too.

RaisinGirls Thu 10-Apr-14 12:04:17

Yes, Milly as a nn isn't great. We have a Molly in the family do I think, at least within the family, that we'd avoid Milly. Maybe go for Milla or Cam or Camy.

I quite like B as a nn

chillychicken Thu 10-Apr-14 18:11:06

Camilla is a fabulous name! I know a Camilla and she's "Milla" to her friends.

I prefer Beatrice to Beatrix and I like Bea as a NN.

You'll have to let us know what you decide! grin

DessieLou Thu 10-Apr-14 20:08:56

Both gorgeous! I love Camille, too. How about Camila (Ca-mee-la)?

HootOnTheBeach Thu 10-Apr-14 20:23:31

Beatrix because bunnies

Boygirl5 Thu 10-Apr-14 23:30:28

Beatrix

schplappo Fri 11-Apr-14 01:51:19

Camilla is beautiful. Can you use both? Camilla Beatrix is gorgeous!

Naoko Fri 11-Apr-14 02:00:33

I think Camilla is the nicer name, but if we're talking royal connections then I think I'd prefer the previous Queen of the Netherlands over the duchess of Cornwall grin

(I am being flippant, just mildly amused that OP is a republican and yet those two individuals are the first who come to mind for me as famous bearers of those names smile )

pilates Fri 11-Apr-14 08:47:20

Beatrix

beela Fri 11-Apr-14 09:10:40

I like Beatrice, but DH has vetoed.

Or how about Priscilla? I met a really lovely (adult) Priscilla the other day, it really suited her.

SS3J Fri 11-Apr-14 11:33:02

Beatrix is lovely. I don't like Camilla at all.

magentasurprise Fri 11-Apr-14 22:54:08

Both great names, although I love Camille more than Camilla.

Boygirl5 Sat 12-Apr-14 10:09:49

Beatrix

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 13-Apr-14 01:10:51

Camilla

I just hear beer tricks with Beatrix.

highlove Sun 13-Apr-14 03:03:18

Camilla is a bit horsey/Sloaney.

Like Beatrix and also Beatrice.. Bea is lovely too and works equally as a NN for a little one and an adult.

Anjou Sun 13-Apr-14 13:07:37

Camilla: lovely. (I prefer Camille but get why you don't). Cammy is lovely and Milla/Milly are options too.

Beatrix: it's ok. Makes me think Potter, which then makes me think of old ladies (I'm not into this granny chic thing, though). Bea is an ok nickname. Might she be called Trixie somewhere down the line?! confused Something to consider.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now