Is Cameron shortened to Ronnie doable?

(30 Posts)
FigRolls Thu 14-Nov-13 10:30:16

I know some people hate shortened names, but personally I prefer children to have a longer 'grown-up' name with an appropriate shortening for when they're younger. Elena to Ellie, Evelyn to Evie etc. I like both Cameron and Ronnie, but do you think they sound too dissimilar for it be used as a shortened version? I also like Flynn, but cannot think of a longer version. Opinions/preferences welcome please smile

flipchart Fri 15-Nov-13 11:23:37

But Ronnie as a name isn't shorter than Cameron. It's not like you are going from Theodore to Ted is is?

Rosencrantz Fri 15-Nov-13 12:27:51

I think you'd be daft to.

Cameron is a gorgeous name, and Ronnie is dreadful.

Go for Cameron or Ronald, and embrace Cam and Ron.

notadoctor Fri 15-Nov-13 16:12:05

I really like both Cameron and Ronnie and he'll have the chance to change his own nickname when he's older. Go for it!

GrandstandingBlueTit Fri 15-Nov-13 18:37:54

You can shorten and or abbreviate a name however you like; there are no rules.

However, I'm surprised you think Shannon Elizabeth shortened to Beth is a 'stretch to far' and yet think Cameron/Ronnie is OK. There're both as arbitrary as each other...!

Bottom line - do what you want. Beth's Mum probably thinks your shortening is odd, but it doesn't actually matter what other people think, does it? smile

GrandstandingBlueTit Fri 15-Nov-13 18:42:10

And unless the two sibling names in question are, say, Wayne and Montgomery, then the names matching really shouldn't be that big a deal.

They're going to be a sib-set for a much shorter time than they will be adults, living apart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now