Girls names that mean redemption. Help me think laterally

(32 Posts)
Evelynevening Tue 29-Oct-13 05:32:41

I was wondering if anyone could help. I have been searching for a girl name that means redemption (or something similar) and everything I have found online sounds too different/foreign.

Can anyone help me think something else? I think I will need to think outside the box for this and am not too sure where to start.

But I don't want something that sounds too unusual.

babyfedleaning Fri 01-Nov-13 19:58:02

Loveday?

SparklyFucker Thu 31-Oct-13 21:49:17

What about Christina? Isabelle + variants means consecrated to God - could be taken as accepted by God/redeemed by accepting God? Simone/Simona mean God is heard - I am redeemed?

LauraChant Thu 31-Oct-13 21:04:13

Natasha/ Natalya/ Natalie has associations with Christmas/ birth of Jesus and so could be said to have associations with redemption?

serin Thu 31-Oct-13 20:47:05

Redemption......'Red' for short?

TeaAndCakeOrDeath Thu 31-Oct-13 08:32:14

Sorry for any duplications -

Stasia/Stacy/Anastasia
Renatia/Renate/Renata
the different "Renee" variations
Phoenix
Galya
Arpad
Fidaa
Geuel
Padon
Fadwa
Galilah and variations
Goel
Yigel
Galine
Pedaiah
Geula

Bakingtins Thu 31-Oct-13 08:30:31

Ruth's MIL was Naomi, I think.

How about Esther? She also risked her life to redeem her people. The name means 'myrtle' which is a plant associated with rebirth, it springs back to life when cut down, and with love/marriage. Alternative meaning is 'star'

MrsWildermac Thu 31-Oct-13 08:18:55

Though actually, because of her, her mother-in-law was also redeemed?

MrsWildermac Thu 31-Oct-13 08:18:13

How about Ruth? In the OT she was redeemed by Boaz and it's a beautiful story, though I suppose she was on the receiving end of said redemption rather than acting as redeemer.

KateCroydon Thu 31-Oct-13 07:58:20

Love Redemption as a middle name.

Feedthebirds Wed 30-Oct-13 22:14:12

Sorry - mistakenly deleted part of my earlier message then didn't have time to write afresh...

In short, 2 biblical suggestions from me, one from each testament. Bathsheba and Mary, the latter as in Magdalene.

Bathsheba has literary association with redemption too (Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd).

I did once hear of Phoenix as a girl's name, but it's not a patch on these two, in my opinion.

Please keep us posted if you don't mind. Such an interesting brief.

Evelynevening Wed 30-Oct-13 10:37:44

Thank you for all your help, it has been very useful and I've been busy following up all these suggestions.

I really like the idea of Redemption as a middle name, dh not so keen but maybe if we go with his choice of first name he'll agree.

The Bathsheba suggestion was interesting and I found the French version Bethsabee more gentle (less emphasis in bat), although I can't get away from Beth's a bee.

swoopyswoop Wed 30-Oct-13 07:33:37

Could be nn Annie... smile

swoopyswoop Wed 30-Oct-13 07:32:55

I think Anastasia means ressurection?

Feedthebirds Wed 30-Oct-13 06:04:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Clargo55 Tue 29-Oct-13 21:59:34

Could you use Redemption as a middle name? I think it could work really well.
Any of the other names jumping out at you?

steppemum Tue 29-Oct-13 21:38:13

Evangeline?
Galya
Priam

(got the last two from google)

Liberty?

Arabella, that's what I thought too. I love that song smile

I really like Redemption as a name.

Bakingtins Tue 29-Oct-13 21:25:21

How about
Elizabeth/Eliza/Beth/Ailsa/Isabel - all 'God's promise'
Josephine 'God has added'
Anna / Hannah / Joanna 'God has favoured me'
Eliana 'God has answered'

Or on a different tack, thinking of rebirth, rising from the ashes etc Vanessa / Nessa 'butterfly'

ArabellaBeaumaris Tue 29-Oct-13 21:19:51

Just go for Redemption (as a middle name). Lovely sound to it actually, & makes me think of this song

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrY9eHkXTa4

Evelynevening Tue 29-Oct-13 20:39:04

Thank you so much for those. They are more what I'm looking for.

bakingtins there is no real back story I can describe, I just have very strong feeling for the baby to have this 'action' in the name (middle or first I haven't decided yet).

Oriunda Tue 29-Oct-13 20:37:22

Salvatora is an Italian girl's name (saviour). DH's grandmother was called this but used 'Dora' as nn.

Bakingtins Tue 29-Oct-13 13:18:20

Anastasia / Stacey "resurrection"
Hope
Thea/Mattea "gift of God"
Carissa/Carys/Charis "grace"
Jenna "god's grace"
Mary/Miriam "wished for child"
Shona/Siobhan "god is gracious"

OP, are you willing to share any of the back-story to how you came to want a redemption name? It might help posters to think of similar themes.

Marrow Tue 29-Oct-13 11:55:33

Adina means she has saved.

Salvia is Spanish and means saved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now