Gaaah! Absolutely no idea on boy's names!

(32 Posts)
MakeHayIsAWhaleNow Mon 28-Oct-13 20:22:10

Not due till February, so not exactly imminent, but we cannot even come close to a decision....need the power of Mumsnet please!

Our other dcs are Catherine and Alistair, surname one syllable. We've been trying to avoid A or C initials, but are still open to suggestions. I'm a bit fussy....don't like anything too traditional (I know that an argument could be made for our names already being very traditional, but I am thinking of names like James, Edward, George etc), too flowery, too often chosen etc.

Names that have crossed our radar have been:
Vincent (dh likes this, I'm not sure, and my sister has earmarked it anyway!)
Theodore
Franklin/Franklyn
Matthias

There were others I think, but mostly we think it's ok then one of us will change our minds! Just haven't found The One yet (apart from ds's name, which I love!).

If it helps, our children will have English, Dutch, German, Scottish and Welsh ancestry in various proportions!

Thanks in advance....

I like Vincent and really like Matthias. Don't like Franklyn.

Thaddeus
Francis
Simeon
Simon
Gregory
Bartholomew

MakeHayIsAWhaleNow Mon 28-Oct-13 20:27:50

Ooh, I do like Francis, I'd forgotten that. And actually Simeon but have a feeling that dh will veto that because of a previous student (both of us are teachers, doesn't help....!).

Bartholomew....yes, has potential, I think!

Thank you for your suggestions.

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Mon 28-Oct-13 20:29:28

Lawrence
Edward
Sebastian

Sorry, whilst I love your dcs names, I dont like any on your list

Teacher here too! I had a lovely Simeon, years ago.

MakeHayIsAWhaleNow Mon 28-Oct-13 20:40:59

mortified no worries - I'm not sure about them either, which is part of the problem!! Actually Sebastian was also a consideration, but to me it's rather a dark name (can't explain really, I started a thread about it a while ago, there seemed to be a synaesthetic thing going on! It's why I'm not sure about Vincent either, it's a spiky name.... Yep, weird, I know!)

My cousin's called Lawrence, so that's out - and sadly I have loads of brothers and cousins which rules out others like Joseph, Dickon, Arthur - all of which I love.

MakeHayIsAWhaleNow Mon 28-Oct-13 20:42:09

Also like Benedict, Gabriel - I think. Honestly, my indecisiveness irritates even me! And then when I really do like one dh really doesn't....

stephrick Mon 28-Oct-13 20:42:48

I know the old names are back so you need to a new old name if you see what I mean, how about Seth.

DD1 would have been Laurence, had she been a ds. It's lovely, as is Edward.

Luke?
Julian?
Hector?

MakeHayIsAWhaleNow Mon 28-Oct-13 20:46:15

Seth - possible, and I get the new old thing (one I liked was Albert/Albie. Dh, not so much....)

Sorry Remus, I'm not so sure about those three, but thank you for your suggestions. I told you, I'm fussy blush

buttercrumble Mon 28-Oct-13 20:46:57

Teddy smile

blurryeyegirl Mon 28-Oct-13 20:49:43

Luke
Elliot
Michael

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Mon 28-Oct-13 20:49:50

Angus
Frederick
Tristan
Griffin
Maximilian

blurryeyegirl Mon 28-Oct-13 20:50:04

Nathan (iel)

devonsmummy Mon 28-Oct-13 20:50:37

Gideon
Barnaby
Elias
Alexander
Tobias

CordeliaRose Mon 28-Oct-13 20:50:57

Ewan
Fabian
Felix
Fergus
Gareth
Gregor
Hamish
Hugo
Jonas
Leon
Magnus
Nicholas
Owen
Peter
Stefan
Torrin

I love Catherine and Alistair.
And Matthias. thanks

No need to be sorry - am just throwing out random names!

Really, really dislike Seth though - sorry.

Tristan, suggested below, is gorgeous.

MakeHayIsAWhaleNow Mon 28-Oct-13 20:53:38

I love Elliot/Ellis! Also vetoed by dh....grrr! grin

And Teddy was the nn for Theodore, but in the end I couldn't imagine calling him by his full name and the other two don't get shortened so I took against Theodore.

Michael is my fil's name, and dh's middle name, the short version doesn't work with our surname either really.

Griffin....interesting!

MakeHayIsAWhaleNow Mon 28-Oct-13 20:54:21

Cross-posted with a few! Off to have a look....thank you for all ideas!

MakeHayIsAWhaleNow Mon 28-Oct-13 20:57:54

Cordelia some good ones on there, including dh's name (and his brother's). Thank you.

devonsmummy. I had a few of those on my original list, including Barnaby and Tobias - might be time to resurrect them.

Howly Mon 28-Oct-13 21:28:57

Finlay
Samuel
Jeremiah
Bobby

I really like Matthias

devonsmummy Mon 28-Oct-13 21:42:56

Roland

Love Roland. Love Barnaby. EVERYBODY else hates Roland though.

BlackberryandNettle Mon 28-Oct-13 21:52:15

Aiden

milkysmum Mon 28-Oct-13 21:54:36

Samuel?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now