Thoughts on Finn?

(68 Posts)
Lioncubs Fri 27-Sep-13 21:09:19

Is Finn a good name?

poppydaisy Mon 07-Oct-13 14:41:36

We know loads of Finns. To me it's overused and already a little dated.

PlumpkinPie Mon 07-Oct-13 14:32:43

very very popular where I live - for boys and girls.

rachel234 Mon 07-Oct-13 14:29:19

Finn has become very trendy - we didn't know a single one until about five years ago, now we know loads of little Finns.

And just as many find it 'lovely' or 'cute' it will eventually fall out of fashion again, like Kevin or Steve or Mike did a generation ago.

Names are not objectively 'lovely' if they are popular, they are popular because lots of people like the same name at the same time. Like with fashion - lots of like the same trends.

Personally I prefer more 'timeless' and 'classic' names and find Finn a little too overused now.

I like it - cute

Kevin was trendy though - came from nowhere statistically (in England) to high popularity. Jack and Harry have never been out of the top fifty ish. They might be having a spike of popularity but you could find 60yos, 40yos, and 20yos with those names in any pub or office in the country.

I think Finn will date more than Jack or Harry because it's risen more - I don't know any over twenty but lots under five.

everlong Mon 07-Oct-13 08:54:40

Good grief.
Steve and Kevin lovely?

shoobidoo Mon 07-Oct-13 08:43:46

That is what the next generation will say of Jack, Finn and Harry! These names will sound dated eventually.

Sleepthief Mon 07-Oct-13 07:59:38

Steve and Kevin were never 'lovely' hmm

shoobidoo Sun 06-Oct-13 23:13:19

But Steve & Kevin were also 'lovely' names when they were trendy in the 1970s.

Sleepthief Sun 06-Oct-13 10:04:19

Exactly Inglorious. A friend recently named his little boy Jack and I initially thought, 'oh no, it's so popular', but on reflection that's because it's a really, really good name smile

Inglori0us Sun 06-Oct-13 08:33:32

Yes I agree. We are struggling with a boys name and I was hellbent on having a normal but uncommon name. The thing is, the popular names are popular for a reason, because they're lovely names.
As for nns My dd is Alexandra Violet and she's called Alex, Lex and Lexi. She'll chose what she wants to be called when she's older I guess.

Sleepthief Sun 06-Oct-13 08:09:11

Fair enough, but I've got a four-year-old Finn (to go with a nine-year-old and a two-year-old - they are not called Finn, that would be odd grin but just to demonstrate that I am not limited to a four-year-old sample) and I genuinely only know one other Finn, who lives on a different landmass anyway. There are a few Finlay's about, but I've never heard any of them called Finn, so I guess it depends...

I do, however, know two other Kits (my youngest's name) within the teeny, tiny catchment of our London primary school, which encompasses about three streets hmm.

Anyway, I think people get too hung up on the supposed popularity or otherwise of a name (which is clearly subjective, or area dependent). If you like it, go for it smile

and maybe that way we'd have fewer children lumbered with really ugly obscure names or made up monikers

Floggingmolly Sat 05-Oct-13 19:47:54

Hundreds of them about these days. If there's no Irish connection it sounds a bit daft.

Inglori0us Sat 05-Oct-13 19:44:22

Love it. Wish it went with our surname but it doesn't. Boo hiss.

I'm saying that every single Finlay I know is known as Fin(n) so in terms of how popular Finn seems you have to take into account every name that sounds the same day to day.

It's like using Emma-Leigh and complaining your DD gets confused with Emily S and Emilie J in her class.

Chacha23 Sat 05-Oct-13 17:35:57

between Breaking Bad's Flynn and Glee's Finn, I also suspect it may be a very "now" name that will date. That being said there's nothing wrong with it, it's simple and strong.

Sleepthief Sat 05-Oct-13 17:13:23

But Horry Finn and Finlay/Finley are not the same name confused. You can't lump all the Josephs and Jonathans together, despite them having the same prefix... well you can of course but you'd be wrong Of course some people abbreviate Finlay to Finn, but so too Finnbarr/Finbar, Fintan, Finnian, Phineas and even Fionnuala... You aren't saying these names should all be lumped together are you?

ThreeMyselfAndI Sat 05-Oct-13 08:07:26

I love it

WhatAPredicament Fri 04-Oct-13 22:09:22

A bit off topic but where can you access the full list of names given in a year? I can only find the summary data on top 100 names etc?

Spottybra Fri 04-Oct-13 21:24:58

I think it was 34th last year. I'm biased and think its a great name. There are no others in his year.

everlong Fri 04-Oct-13 21:12:27

I think Finn is lovely. Good for all ages.

usualsuspect Fri 04-Oct-13 20:57:13

Love Finn.

Cool name.

NotAQueef Fri 04-Oct-13 20:56:13

I think of Finn McCool and possibly Finn from hollyoaks in the 90s

NotAQueef Fri 04-Oct-13 20:53:44

I love it.
Though, I seriously can't believe how popular it (and its variants) has become according to mumsnet.
When I named DS almost 3 years ago I hadn't met anyone in real life called Finn/Finlay/Finley etc. Have since met a Finley at ds' nursery.
Still never met anyone with ds' full name - Finnegan. According to ONS 5 others with that name each year since he was born.

Sleep I'm not at my laptop where I have the consolidated data, but if you add up all the Fin/Finn/Finlay/Finley they add up to a lot and leapfrog a lot of other "only one spelling" names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now