What do you think about Georgia?

(63 Posts)
carrottopper Sun 15-Sep-13 12:05:35

We've picked Georgia. At first I felt it was a strong but feminine name but now I'm worried its too masculine.

What does the name suggest to you?

valiumredhead Sun 15-Sep-13 13:01:49

Depends where you live, said in a strong Sarf East London accent I'm not so keen. Prepares to be slated...

valiumredhead Sun 15-Sep-13 13:02:13

I do like the name though.

CordeliaRose Sun 15-Sep-13 13:04:13

I like it: strong and feminine imo smile

fuckwittery Sun 15-Sep-13 13:05:31

I really like it, I think its a pretty name, not a particularly strong or masculine one though,

carrottopper Sun 15-Sep-13 13:08:49

Valiumredhead we're not down south.

I'm glad you think it's pretty. I thought it was at first but started to think it wasn't. When we tell people, they don't seem too keen

I think it's strong, traditional and elegant. Pregnant with DS2 so will never get to use it hmm

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 15-Sep-13 13:13:46

Beautiful, classic, feminine yet strong name
Disclaimer- I am totally biased as I have a gorgeous Georgia of my own ;)

valiumredhead Sun 15-Sep-13 13:47:18

The secret is not to tell anyone until baby has arrivedwink

Lancelottie Sun 15-Sep-13 13:52:54

It's fine. I'd put it in the same category as Charlotte or Rebecca.

Rhubarbgarden Sun 15-Sep-13 17:31:44

I really dislike it. I find it clumpy and inelegant. It also reminds me of little sausages though I couldn't for the life of me tell you why I make that connection.

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Sun 15-Sep-13 17:41:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

elcranko Sun 15-Sep-13 17:41:27

I love Georgia. It was on our list for DC1.

SelectAUserName Sun 15-Sep-13 17:43:23

I like it. Pretty, feminine but not too fluffy-puppy.

MairzyDoats Sun 15-Sep-13 17:44:16

I think it's a lovely name, but not like Charlotte or Rebecca - more like Olivia or Lauren. Both of which I think are strong and feminine.

SleepyCatOnTheMat Sun 15-Sep-13 18:15:08

I like it ok, but I would say it's very much a working-class name now, which I think is what valiumredhead was trying to say. Of course this may not be a factor you want to consider.

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 15-Sep-13 19:20:05

Working- class seriously?!

everlong Sun 15-Sep-13 19:25:04

It's not classic imo that would be Georgina. It's in the same category as Scarlett, Abbie, Ellie, Madison, Lexie etc.

Iamgoodbutnotanangel Sun 15-Sep-13 19:25:23

Both Georgia and Georgina were on my list until little Prince George was born and those names were predicted to surge in popularity. I'm still swaying towards Georgina though!

DontmindifIdo Sun 15-Sep-13 19:29:40

It's a nice name when said with a naice accent, but with most regional accents, sounds a bit <sniff> common.

IMO, Georgina sounds classy no matter who says it.

However, it's your DD, if you like the name Georgia, go for it! And stop telling people about your name choices. They will have opinions. Whatever name you pick, you're sure that some Aunt or Cousin or collegue will have known someone with that name at some point who was a right bitch - you will not be able to find one that comes with no 'baggage'. Announce when the decision is made. Not before.

I have a Georgia. I think it's a lovely name and don't regret that choice. The registrar remarked on it, and said she'd tell her pregnant daughter to think about it! It is strong, but traditional and pretty. Still not too common... Yet!

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 15-Sep-13 22:25:12

Think you're right little there isn't many around my Hv said she's not had a Georgia in many years

Fairyloo Sun 15-Sep-13 22:28:54

Very popular

ToffeeCaramel Mon 16-Sep-13 00:35:56

I like it as long as it's not spelt Jorja

ModeratelyObvious Mon 16-Sep-13 00:38:12

It's a nice nane, OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now