Is this too Christmassy?

(52 Posts)
Neverdonethisbefore Sat 07-Sep-13 13:06:57

I'm due on Boxing Day and am mulling over some ideas of names but was wondering if Ivy Noelle is just too Christmassy and twee? I also like Iris Noelle which is less festive I suppose.

Help!

Sadie204 Fri 13-Sep-13 19:21:21

DD2 was a christmas eve baby and we decided against 'themed' names although had plenty of the Holly, Eve etc suggestions from family/friends! FWIW though I love Noelle, think it's very pretty but maybe a bit too much paired with another festive name. I would use one so DD has a choice when she's older

MummyBeerest Fri 13-Sep-13 14:18:51

I think Iris Noelle sounds gorgeous.

Also, there are some beautiful Christmas names!

MadBusLady Thu 12-Sep-13 08:37:41

Oh and there's also Gloria.

MadBusLady Thu 12-Sep-13 08:35:39

I think lots of these names are lovely and not specific to Christmas, with the exception of Noelle and Santa which IMO is pushing it. I wouldn't hear Stella or Ivy or Evangeline and think "Oh a Christmas name, how twee."

There was a similar thread a while back and the OP ended up with Christabel Joy, which is lovely if you like Victorian type names - it's Christmassy in context but not in your face.

ViviDeBeauvoir Wed 11-Sep-13 21:51:15

I love noelle but not sure if it's a bit much.
What about Joelle?

telsa Wed 11-Sep-13 21:50:29

Iris Noelle...Eye Wrist No El <bow)

telsa Wed 11-Sep-13 21:49:28

Don't you think Iris Neve sounds like Eye, Wrist, Kneers...kind of?

MrsDibble Wed 11-Sep-13 14:32:00

Iris is beautiful flower though. And a lovely perfume (Infusion d'Iris)!

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 10-Sep-13 21:16:33

Twee and cheesy, don't do it.

Dislike Iris and Ivy, but then I'm not a fan of granny chic.

fuzzpig Tue 10-Sep-13 20:52:10

Iris Neve? (related to snow but apparently means brightness, that's only based on a cursory google though)

I think noelle is a tad too obvious but that's JMO

HeyJudith Tue 10-Sep-13 20:45:51

Winter
Caroline (Carol) smile
Belle

Agree that Ivy Noelle is too much. Iris Noelle very pretty. I would rather be called Iris than Ivy... I think Iris is cool but also romantic and softer. Ivy looks and feels harder than Iris. (JMO) smile

Bazoo23 Tue 10-Sep-13 20:39:31

my daughters a december baby and her middle name is Holly.
Some of the names on MN are ridiculous so to judge Xmas names is silly.

MrsDibble Tue 10-Sep-13 17:52:29

PS I think both Ivy and Iris are pretty names in their own right.

Not actually keen on Noelle, but think that's because of Noel Edmunds...

MrsDibble Tue 10-Sep-13 17:50:48

Natalie/Nathalie is nice and is technically a Christmas name (Natale is Italian for Christmas). Also I think Natascha means born at Christmas.

A bit more subtle for everyday life?

Or even Nichola after St Nicholas??

fiishfingers Tue 10-Sep-13 10:14:03

My daughter was born on Boxing Day .She is 14 and very glad she does not have any Christmas names.Congratulations,a Christmas baby is nice.

sleepingbeautiful Tue 10-Sep-13 04:12:28

Oh Xpost Weeglemum smile

sleepingbeautiful Tue 10-Sep-13 04:11:11

Agree with the majority - a Christmassy/Wintery nane is nice, but not both names unless v subtle.

I had a school friend with a Christmas birthday, and her name was Natalie. Not an automatic link because lots of girls called that who aren't born at Christmas.

Also could use Joy.

LeoandBoosmum Mon 09-Sep-13 16:05:31

Woundup, Noel is the masculine form, Noelle is the feminine form. I don't think Noelle looks ridiculous at all... OP could have the first e as you suggested (ë) but it's not necessary.

Weegiemum Mon 09-Sep-13 16:04:45

Natalie is a lovely Christmas name.

I'm assuming you've ruled out Holly?

Waiting For Noel is a fabulous book about the year approaching the birth of a Christmas baby. We read it right through advent every year.

DS3 was born on Bonfire night. I was soooo tempted to ditch the name we'd chosen and call him Guy instead, I figured being named after a criminal that got the death penalty wasn't great though.

I like your names btw. smile

WoundUpWanda Mon 09-Sep-13 15:56:17

Noelle looks ridiculous. Noël is a better spelling.

LeoandBoosmum Mon 09-Sep-13 15:49:59

BTW, I don't think Wintry Christmas-y names are twee at all...in the end, a beautiful name is a beautiful name and, for example, most people would not know Cerys means gift or Eira means snow! I'd just go for it. If I could be called anything I would probably choose Noelle Vivienne (I was a Winter baby) , and definitely think you should use Noelle...it is just so pretty. smile

LeoandBoosmum Mon 09-Sep-13 15:42:54

Ps Noelle is beautiful all year round... smile

LeoandBoosmum Mon 09-Sep-13 15:42:10

Ivy is not a pretty first name imo. I do, however, adore Noelle. Why not swap the names around or find another 'Christmas' flower or plant to go with Noelle (with Noelle as the first name?).
eg Noelle Laurel (mabe too many L sounds there though)
Noelle Dahlia
Noelle Dymphna (means Little Fawn)
Noelle Cerys (means gift in Welsh)
Noelle Robin (after the Robin Redbreast)
Noelle Ingrid (believe it means beauty)
Noelle Natala (means born at Christmas)
Noelle Faith has a ring to it...
Noelle Rose
Noelle Winter is pretty but could sound odd in June grin
Noelle Neva (means snow)
Noelle Eve
Noelle Hedera (Ivy in Latin)
Noelle Eira (Snow in Welsh)
Noelle Emilia (character in Shakespeare's A Winter's Tale)
Noelle Eponine (just soundspretty...to me anyway smile)
Noelle Seraphina (means highest order of angels)
Noelle Evangeline (means bearer of good news)
There are my suggestions smile

telsa Mon 09-Sep-13 12:25:50

Ivy Noelle is lovely and designed to be christmassy. It has an echo of Ivor Novello!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now