Honest views on Ralf....

(75 Posts)
legallyblond Thu 29-Aug-13 16:06:24

I'm pregnant with twins who are arriving in 10 days.... if its two boys (we don't know the sexes), first boy will be Hugo, and for the second we had decided on Ralf.

To be pronounced as it is spelt (ie not Rafe)...

I am wavering. I love the name, but....

1. Will we have a constant mispronunciation issue (we thought less chance of the "Rafe" mistake with Ralf, as opposed to Ralph)? How would you pronounce "Ralf" if you saw it?

2. I love it, but is it a "dog's name"?!? Will there be constant "I had a dog named Ralph" etc... Not sure why I think this!

Argh!

JosiePosiePuddingAndPie Thu 29-Aug-13 19:56:45

Ralfing = being sick therefore no!

pinguwings Thu 29-Aug-13 20:02:17

I love it!

I know a six year old Ralph and it fits him perfectly.

legallyblond Thu 29-Aug-13 20:44:40

Long chats with DH... We still love Ralf but are now erring towards Ralph spelling as most people will assume that. I have never come across the vomiting thing until v recently, and if we went on stuff like that, surely no one would ever choose John or William (Willy - I know two Willies and they seem cool with it!)....

Buildingamystery Thu 29-Aug-13 20:46:07

To me it will always be the penis in Forever. Sorry.

Ruprekt Thu 29-Aug-13 20:49:45

No to Ralf....tis reminding me of Rolf Harris!

Hugo and Theo

Hugo and Max

Hugo and Finlay

Hugo and Miles

What are your girls names? smilesmilesmile

Meggymoodle Thu 29-Aug-13 21:03:39

love Hugo, not Ralph so much but it's OK but do think I prefer the Rafe pronunciation, just to be awkward.

Hugo and Giles
Hugo and Philip (known as Pip)

PeanutPatty Thu 29-Aug-13 21:07:14

Hugo = YAY
Ralph = NAY

So many other lovely names you could have:

Henry
George
Theo
Finn/Finlay
Reuben
Asher
Isaac

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 29-Aug-13 22:03:11

Francis

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 29-Aug-13 22:03:53

Ooh yes, Philip is great and underused

legallyblond Thu 29-Aug-13 22:12:36

Thanks all - we've decided we do really like Ralph. We think its cool and, as DH has said, he might want to use "Rafe" pron at some point... I like lots if the names you've suggested, but Ralph is liked by both of us...

I had an Great Uncle Ralph & he was known as Raffy. Which I really like

JimbosJetSet Thu 29-Aug-13 22:19:46

I would read 'Forever' by Judy Blume first... (Classic book to take you back to your teenage years even if it doesn't sway your opinion of the name!)

sleepingbeautiful Thu 29-Aug-13 22:23:19

Ralf is actually the original British spelling, not Ralph, which is a later affectation.

I like the name. I wouldn't be confused. Growing up, my close friend's brother was a Ralf and never was called anything weird or teased about his name at school.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Thu 29-Aug-13 22:24:30

I read this as Rolf and of course my reaction was no no no. But Ralf is not much better

Judy Blume... Sorry OP

FourGates Thu 29-Aug-13 22:38:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thamesk8 Thu 29-Aug-13 22:41:09

I think you're best with Hugo and Ralph. Seems more "proper" ad finished. Especially with brother Hugo!

Iwantacat Thu 29-Aug-13 23:12:56

Perfect.

kiwik Fri 30-Aug-13 00:58:18

I like Hugo, but not Ralf.
Prefer Rufus - Hugo and Rufus sound good together.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 30-Aug-13 08:03:22

OP has decided

Layl77 Fri 30-Aug-13 08:11:16

I like Ralph spelling Hugo & Ralph look and sound lovely

pongping Fri 30-Aug-13 08:45:29

It's a lovely name OP. As an aside - we were on a waiting to ttc thread back in 2010 (I have nc'd a bazillion times but recognise your nn). Twins! Congratulations smile.

legallyblond Fri 30-Aug-13 08:51:50

Thanks pongping! I had a DD in Oct 2010.... So will have my hands full in 10 days....!

Sorry about the mcs (I assume nc'd is miscarried?!). My best friend just had her first after 6 unexplained mcs... She cut out gluten which seemed to help. Good luck x x

pongping Fri 30-Aug-13 08:56:03

Ah no - it means namechanged, sorry. I have two boys now - one born in November 2010 and one in March this year smile.

Have you chosen girls names too?

legallyblond Fri 30-Aug-13 09:03:33

Oh good!!!!

Yes - possible girls named are Valentina and Zara.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now