Caspar

(37 Posts)
mynameisnotmichaelcaine Mon 26-Aug-13 18:20:35

We had kind of decided on Francis for a boy, but I am just not 100% convinced (partly because dh and I pronounce it differently, which I know would irritate me).

DH suggested Caspar this morning. I like it a lot, and am not bothered by the friendly ghost association, as I think it's not something that this generation will really know about.

Would be grateful for any thoughts.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Wed 28-Aug-13 13:21:31

kiwi the issue with the full name is the fact that DH and I pronounce it differently. It would most decidedly wind me up. Especially since we live in an area where everyone else would pronounce it like DH, rather than like me, including our other children!

kiwik Wed 28-Aug-13 11:27:20

I really like Caspar, and don't think of the ghost at all.

I have a Francis though, and adore the name. He's not been shortened to Frank or Frankie at all yet - Fran a couple of times, which I quite like, but he's mostly just Francis.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Tue 27-Aug-13 19:24:17

whispers, this one may yet be a girl, we don't know smile We have Hetty Frances for a girl.

I love it! Please use it as it was on my list for DC2 and she ended up being a girl...

Rooners Tue 27-Aug-13 19:06:32

It is very nice...very popular in Denmark I think. I only know of one who is a Danish little boy. Well more teenager now.

Go for it - nicer than Francis smile

squoosh Tue 27-Aug-13 19:05:11

There's always the sexy Kasper from Borgen.....................

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Tue 27-Aug-13 18:56:14

The trouble is hms, that LOADS of names are in a grey area between "try-hard" and "boring" for me. Since we have a really, really boring surname, a very common first name, even if it's lovely, would give our child a name that a few hundred thousand other people have got. It's a tough one.

hmsvictoria Tue 27-Aug-13 18:27:17

I love the sound of it as a word, but as a name it suits a pet more IMO. For a child it falls into my trying-too-hard category.

Saffyz Tue 27-Aug-13 18:20:37

I think "Three Kings" rather than "ghost". Great name!

LillyNotOfTheValley Tue 27-Aug-13 18:05:45

Love Caspar, brilliant name

osaraf Tue 27-Aug-13 16:56:30

my son is called Casper. I don't know of anyone else with the name and people seem to really love it. He's 17 months now and really suits it. we have an unusual surname too so he won't get forgotten at school!

squoosh Tue 27-Aug-13 16:37:24

Casper the Ghost has been a cartoon character since the 1940s, I don't think it's going to dip out of popular culture particularly soon. Not saying that should put you off, but it will be a reference that pops up a lot.

hetsto Tue 27-Aug-13 16:33:14

Caspar is a lovely name - classical and the ghost reference will very quickly be outdated!

DalmationDots Tue 27-Aug-13 15:49:54

Love it, makes me imagine a very handsome boy smile

squoosh Tue 27-Aug-13 14:36:03

I much prefer Francis, Frankie is a great nickname.

Caspar seems very.....wispy.

noodlebum Tue 27-Aug-13 14:05:31

Caspar is brilliant!

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Tue 27-Aug-13 07:53:45

Thanks everyone by the way. I was a bit worried it's a bit try-hard. Boy's names are so hard!

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Tue 27-Aug-13 07:52:34

Yes, westcoast, the ghost. As everyone in our generation would say, and kids would look blankly at them.

When my friend named her ds Rory 5 years ago, loads of people warned her off because of the racing car. I've not heard anyone say it for literally years now...

Frank Turner is Francis.
I like Caspar, I know 2 with that name, both German.

westcoastnortherner Tue 27-Aug-13 07:18:22

The ghost?

stillenacht Tue 27-Aug-13 07:17:07

Totally agree with Pygmy re Francis (Frankie etc)... Caspar is lovely thoughsmile

5madthings Mon 26-Aug-13 22:14:53

Love it, its my nephews name smile

Diddle82 Mon 26-Aug-13 22:14:43

Love it, cool name... go for it!

Love Caspar. Much nicer than Francis.

pygmy Mon 26-Aug-13 21:39:44

Frankie is on par with Ronnie, Reggie, Vinnie etc.
Caspar!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now