Hebe Theodora or Dulcie Clementine?

(172 Posts)

Pick your favourite please grin

(Dulcie Theodora might work too,but I don't like Hebe Clementine)

Smartiepants79 Tue 06-Aug-13 09:25:57

Agree, like ALL of them on their own.
Think Hebe is the best.
It's the combinations that don't work for me.
Just too 'much'

noddyholder Tue 06-Aug-13 09:26:36

I like hebe and dulcie know 2 teenagers but they are both fairly common where I live. Not keen on the full names too much and agree a bit pretentious. Love theodora and clementine on their own though

trolleycoin Tue 06-Aug-13 09:32:50

Sorry. Hebe: she will spend the rest of her life saying "Hebe not Phoebe. You know as in the plant that slugs love".

All a bit try too hard.

MrsOakenshield Tue 06-Aug-13 09:38:06

oh, one of our cats is Hebe! <completely outs self> (we have a lot in our garden). Greek goddess of good fortune, I thought? But I don't like any of those names for an actual child, sorry.

If you like them, that's enough, isn't it?

ZutAlorsDidier Tue 06-Aug-13 09:39:49

I don't think you should name someone after the goddess of youth because no one is young for ever. shows the same lack of foresight as when they named New College Oxford.
Otherwise, do what the hell you like. who cares what we think?

sparkle12mar08 Tue 06-Aug-13 09:41:48

Heebie jeebies?! Are you nuts? Kids will find anything to pick on, I get that, but please don't hand them something like that on a plate... Otherwise Dulcie, Clementine and Theodora are all fine on their own, but in combination, no. Really, no.

TheSecondComing Tue 06-Aug-13 09:43:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

To be honest, Theodora and clementine are on the 'plainer' side for us.

We aren't trying to be cool,we just like these names.
we don't think they are torturously awful for the child to bear,are easily pronounced,and all 'real' names and are unusual.

We both have very different naming styles so its hard to balance...DP likes what I'd refer to as 90's hippie names,and I like what he'd call 'granny' names (as a child I named my favourite doll Mildred...) so these are a compromise.

And have been whittled down from a list of about 200...

Abra1d Tue 06-Aug-13 09:46:49

I'd have either of each of those pairs, not both. With a simpler second name.

LeGavrOrf Tue 06-Aug-13 09:48:46

Hebe Theodora is LOVELY. Or the other way around, Theodora Hebe.

I don't think Dulcie Clementine goes together, but they are both lovely names separately.

I love grandiose names for girls. I had to really reign myself in when naming dd. I remember really liking Cassiopeia for a while. Dd is very glad she has the name she has and wasn't called Berengaria or something. grin

HormonalHousewife Tue 06-Aug-13 09:49:10

I know a 16 year old Hebe - she is vair posh

LeGavrOrf Tue 06-Aug-13 09:50:45

Kids will always find something to make a name into, you can't avoid that. My daughter was called Sophia diarrhoea when she was in junior school.

sparkle12mar08 Tue 06-Aug-13 09:55:43

Well your idea of 'tortuously awful' and most peoples must be vastly different then!

I love Constance too, would that be a runner?

Yes,I expect it is sparkle

LeGavrOrf Tue 06-Aug-13 09:58:58

Kids will always find something to make a name into, you can't avoid that. My daughter was called Sophia diarrhoea when she was in junior school.

LeGavrOrf Tue 06-Aug-13 09:59:30

Sorry for double post.

minipie Tue 06-Aug-13 09:59:48

Hmm. lots of granny chic names would work well as a second name.

Hebe Mabel
Hebe Constance
Dulcie Edith
Dulcie Pearl

GigiDarcy Tue 06-Aug-13 10:00:06

DH says my tastes run to the unusual but I love both, especially Dulcie Clementine. You rarely hear first and middle names together anyway if that's what's putting people off. Both are unusual but known names, go for it if you like them! For what it's worth, have never taught a Dulcie or a Hebe.

I like almost all of those mini I just don't know if DP will...

noddyholder Tue 06-Aug-13 10:02:02

You have to go with what suits you and your family and not listen to others. My son'r name is regularly ridiculed on MN and I have been told it was virtually abusive to name him it and he should expect a lifetime of bullying He is 19 and so far so good grin

grin

<wonders if Noddys DS name should be on my backup boys list>

noddyholder Tue 06-Aug-13 10:05:31

It is not very 'out there' at all considering our first choice initially was Elvis (which i regret not using now as ds so could have carried it)

Still18atheart Tue 06-Aug-13 10:05:31

I really like Dulcie Clementine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now