Beatrix or Iris?

(36 Posts)
FingersCrossedLegsNot Fri 26-Jul-13 00:04:33

Which would you pick and why? Also, what kind of feel/vibe do you get from the name? Thanks

GettingStrong Sun 28-Jul-13 21:42:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rhubarbgarden Sun 28-Jul-13 22:34:25

Iris. Beautiful flower. Not keen on Beatrix and there's a Bea in every playground at the moment.

Leeds2 Sun 28-Jul-13 23:09:49

Absolutely love Iris. If I had a DD tomorrow (unlikely, lol!) that is what she would be called.

I would never choose Beatrix, but don't dislike it. Confusion with Beatrice would probably annoy me.

Beamur Sun 28-Jul-13 23:14:41

May I commend you on your excellent taste in names! grin
I have a Beatrice myself, and Iris was on my short list. Beatrice/Beatrix seems to be hugely gaining in popularity though - I thought we'd picked a less common name, but there are others at her school and I know of at least 2 baby Bea's born in the last year or two. I don't know any little girls called Iris.
I've never had anyone confused about my DD's name - they are similar (Beatrice/Beatrix) but do sound clearly different at the end.

telsa Sun 28-Jul-13 23:23:01

Go for Beatrix.any name with an x in it is so cool and you get some lovely nn potential.
I know quite a few Irises and think the name is somewhat ugly and prim.

ClaraBean Mon 29-Jul-13 01:29:53

My 12 year old is Iris, I always wished it was my name, it is just so cool and elegant. I also love Iris Murdoch.
Beatrix was on our long list too, it is funky and cool, rather than timeless and elegant imo, but still lovely.

mathanxiety Mon 29-Jul-13 01:39:49

Beatrix -- far zippier and more stylish. I love the X in it. Iris reminds me of Iris Robinson.

EatYourCrusts Mon 29-Jul-13 09:19:56

Iris.

melika Mon 29-Jul-13 09:30:53

Yuk to Beatrix, Iris is ok. I'm sorry but these names are the dregs.

FingersCrossedLegsNot Mon 29-Jul-13 14:32:29

Oh ClaraBean does your Iris like her name?

ClaraBean Mon 29-Jul-13 17:45:57

Yeah, she really loves it. She is the only one we know, so she loves that she can be Iris and not Ruby H/B/L or whatever. She likes that she was named after somebody special to me and her dad (Iris Murdoch) . It really suits her too. I am still really happy that we chose Iris for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now