girl sibling name for Olwen .... need help!

(57 Posts)
Toowittoowoo Mon 22-Jul-13 15:03:56

We found it really easy to decide on Olwen with Dd last time but now I don't have a clue so I would be grateful for any suggestions.

I really don't know whether to go for another Welsh name (we live in Wales I am Welsh) or whether to go for another old fashioned name (e.g. Enid or Agnes - i like both of those more than DH who is not convinced). The list of Welsh names just seems a bit short though as DH is English and obviously needs to be able to pronounce it properly (lovely names such as Gwenllian and Eirlys have been ruled out).

Anyone got ideas for a girl's name to go with Olwen?

TalkativeJim Thu 25-Jul-13 13:14:17

Bettrys is my fave on your list.

Delyth I wouldn't do - it's like a Welsh version of something like Sheila to me! Definitely not back yet!

Lleucu and Buddug I love but would be disastrous in England, or with your DH by the sound of it.

How about Gwenno? So gentle, and easy to say.

RalphtheTimid Thu 25-Jul-13 13:33:07

Etna

StrawbRhi Fri 26-Jul-13 13:35:22

Ah, my sister is an Olwen! shes 24 and we've never met another. So underused. I'm Rhiannon, but the abundance of 'o' sounds in the sibset never felt right to me (but Rhian always feels like people are missing half of my name!)

My mother picked our names from the Mabinogion. You could try there for inspiration?

Meringue33 Tue 30-Jul-13 04:08:12

Love Olwen and Angharad.
Agnes is a nice name, nn Nancy.

Plokahontas Wed 31-Jul-13 21:05:17

Cerian - lovely meaning, very welsh, goes beautifully with Olwen.

iklboo Wed 31-Jul-13 21:12:07

I love the name Rhiannon. It was my 'fantasy' name when I was growing up. Rhiannon Llewellyn, in fact.

ItsNotUnusualToBe Wed 31-Jul-13 21:18:23

My first thought was Betsan. Lovely name. Also Sara, Nerys ac Sioned.

As lovely as Gwenno, Gwenllian, Bronwen, Mairwen are, I think there's too much 'wen' going on when you say the names together with Olwen (which is lovely).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now