girl sibling name for Olwen .... need help!

(57 Posts)
Toowittoowoo Mon 22-Jul-13 15:03:56

We found it really easy to decide on Olwen with Dd last time but now I don't have a clue so I would be grateful for any suggestions.

I really don't know whether to go for another Welsh name (we live in Wales I am Welsh) or whether to go for another old fashioned name (e.g. Enid or Agnes - i like both of those more than DH who is not convinced). The list of Welsh names just seems a bit short though as DH is English and obviously needs to be able to pronounce it properly (lovely names such as Gwenllian and Eirlys have been ruled out).

Anyone got ideas for a girl's name to go with Olwen?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrstowers Tue 23-Jul-13 12:47:30

Ooh I love Ffion.

AnAirOfHope Tue 23-Jul-13 12:58:07

I like:

Angharad (pon, Ann-Har-rad)
Mai
Nia
Ceris
CeriAnn
Gwen
Delith
Ffion

GibberTheMonkey Tue 23-Jul-13 12:58:34

Outs self and hopes no one I k ow reads this exact thread
I'm a Bronwen
Dd is Nia
Both work well with a very English husband in England
I've always loved my name.

diplodocus Tue 23-Jul-13 13:03:09

Iseult? (although some debate about whether it's a Welsh name).
I wanted Nia but sounded ridiculous with our surname.
I had a great Aunty Dilys, so that's the right era.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Toowittoowoo Tue 23-Jul-13 14:46:34

Wow you guys are very helpful, i really didn't expect so many replies! Okay new list:-

Nia
Delyth
Dilys?
Ffion
Betsan
Bettrys
Enid

Would any not go with Olwen or sound silly? Can all be pronounced and spelt by English relatives? Would any be awkward if future DD moves away from Wales?

Thank you in advance. I really do appreciate your replies, they have been very helpful!

Turniptwirl Tue 23-Jul-13 16:47:34

I like nia, Lowri, Megan, haf and seren although seren is v popular

mignonette Tue 23-Jul-13 16:49:30

Fenella? I Love it....

pegster Tue 23-Jul-13 17:06:38

On your list I like Nia & Betsan most (like Delyth too - my mums name, very of her generation)
My list criteria is the same as yours - welsh girls name that English DH & eventually English school etc will be able to pronounce easily. I've got
Alys
Bronwen
Carys
Catrin
Mali
Nia
Rhian
Siriol

LisaMWill Tue 23-Jul-13 17:09:53

My Dd 1 is Betrys and my dd2 is Mabli, if I was to have another dd she would be anwen

PipkinsPal Tue 23-Jul-13 17:20:01

How about Tirion, Betsan, Delyth, Haf, Nerys.

Toowittoowoo Tue 23-Jul-13 17:59:00

Thank you all again! Some of the names you've suggested have been dismissed not because they aren't nice name but because I either have close school friends with the name (e.g. Lowri) or because those friends have called their children by the name (Seren!). Also as the baby is due in November, Haf or Mai might be a bit odd (and Tachwedd doesn't sound quite as pretty!).

Tirion and Siriol are 2 names however that I have never heard of so I am off to google them. Are they popular nowadays?

Lovetea Tue 23-Jul-13 20:25:31

Down south...Tirion is quite popular..2 in DC school, only 1 Siriol! I love both!

Lovetea Tue 23-Jul-13 20:30:32

Lleucu,
Enfys,
Betsi,
Lois,
Beth,
Nel,
Mari,
Celyn,
Siwsi
Gwenlli,
Elinor,
Elisa,

My name is on the list! (and I hope I'm not of pegster's mum's generation wink )

Olwen is quite an old fashioned name though (it is MIL's name) so I think you need to go with another more old fashioned name rather than Carys/Nia/Rhian etc. Eirlys would actually have been perfect, are you sure you won't reconsider? Or Mairwen, but you might not want two "wen" endings. Glenys?

I'm just disappointed it isn't a boy so you can't use Culhwch grin

Or Aeronwy.

Or Buddug.

brokenhearted55 Tue 23-Jul-13 23:05:55

Arwen...bit LOTR but will match Olwen. They rhyme!

Vala ?

pegster Wed 24-Jul-13 08:10:21

Sorry jeminasmile
My Mamgu is Eluned which is very pretty & would go with Olwen (the name of a now deceased great-aunt of mine).

Toowittoowoo Wed 24-Jul-13 12:32:56

Now....is eluned too welsh!? It is a really lovely name but I have not considered it as I thought it might not be as recognisable to English speaking people as some of the other names? I know, I know - some names are too Welsh while many aren't welsh enough....there is no pleasing me!

I agree about the Culhwch..... although I can't imagine my northern english FIL trying to pronounce it. I reckon he'd probably give up and call the boy 'our lad' instead!

Toowittoowoo Wed 24-Jul-13 12:34:51

And as for the loveliest name Eirlys - we can't have it as my DH pronounces it Air-lis and it would annoy me for the rest of my life!!!!

pegster Wed 24-Jul-13 16:47:59

Eluned might be a tricky one, not said as it looks but once heard its easy to repeat, no awkward letter combo's. My Mamgu is usually shortened to Lyn but I expect Ellie might be more likely if you're in England.

maishoffwcingras Wed 24-Jul-13 17:12:33

Aneira
Eiry
?

ParrotsHilton Wed 24-Jul-13 17:43:13

Bronwen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now