Royal baby likely to be a Mary!!!

(86 Posts)
vinobaroness Sun 07-Jul-13 08:08:53

I know there are lots of Royal baby threads I decided to start yet another! Apparently the big money has been put on Mary!!! I love it sounds so fresh yet vintage & sooo regal!!! Alice the other hot contendor for a girl!!!! So so excited!? Whats the opinions on Mary or Alice? George hot favorite for boy X

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sun 21-Jul-13 00:39:40

Not sure about Mary, the first one wasn't a very happy Queen.

I can't imagine Charles I was too happy when they were knocking his block off. grin

But that didn't stop our Queen from bestowing the name on a future monarch.

Seriously. Pretty much every royal name has a bad precedent. I'm not saying it will be Mary. But it won't not be Mary because one of the predecessors had a few, um, anger-management and health issues.

PeriodMath Sat 20-Jul-13 23:36:11

Won't be Eliza, Camilla's daughter has an Eliza.

Sweet name though.

soda1234 Sat 20-Jul-13 21:56:40

I think , if it's a girl, Eliza would be lovely. They could always put Elizabeth on the birth cert.

LeGavrOrf Sat 20-Jul-13 10:59:33

Adelaide would be great. Or Alexandrina (which was Queen Victoria's first name iirc).

Or Sophia. The Act of Settlement stated that all monarchs should be descended from Sophia, who was Queen Anne's heir to the throne (she died before Anne so her son inherited and became George I). So it has a royal precedent. And it is my daughter's name so obviously I think it is great. grin

What about Margaret?

I reckon they should be really adventurous and name it Berengaria.

peachypips Sat 20-Jul-13 10:55:19

Still think it will be Isobella.

forevergreek Sat 20-Jul-13 10:51:11

I actually think they could use:

Girl: leonora ( with Elizabeth and diana at least as middle names)
Boy: Leonard / Leopold ( with Philippe / Albert/ Charles)

Prince or princess Leo has a nice ring to it

TheHandbagOfGlory Sat 20-Jul-13 10:00:24

Her brother is James too.

Also there is already a Princess Alexandra who is implicated in some rumours so I don't know if they would go for that name either?

Lionchair23 Sat 20-Jul-13 09:52:09

Bookies favourite for a boy is now James . I have never thought James was a option as Edward has a son James so the queen would then have a grandson and great grandson with same name .

coffeewineandchocolate Sat 20-Jul-13 06:58:30

I think they will use the opportunity to break the mould, show the public they are moving with the times. that's the way the palace is trying to present them in general. that said, I wouldn't expect a Britney or an Ellie- mae

EmilyAlice Sat 20-Jul-13 06:45:44

Not sure about Mary, the first one wasn't a very happy Queen. I still think Elizabeth, but called Beth, Liza or another of the diminutives until she becomes Queen.

TheRealFellatio Sat 20-Jul-13 06:34:33

I love Mary and I've been hoping for a comeback for it for a couple of years - maybe this will be it!

katydid02 Sat 20-Jul-13 06:05:53

I think they will go for something new and original, like, oh, Jezebel perhaps?

jeee Sat 20-Jul-13 05:48:24

I suggest they call the child 'Anglesey'. Unique, unisex, and it would annoy Katie Hopkins immensely.

MortifiedAdams Sat 20-Jul-13 05:39:13

Im going for Francesca for a girl and Thomas for a boy.

mathanxiety Sat 20-Jul-13 04:29:17

Iirc, there is already a Louise - the DD of Edward and Sophie?

I think Adelaide may be where my money will go.

VBisme Sat 20-Jul-13 04:12:08

Deffo should be Victoria Mary Elizabeth Alice

There are other names such as Louise and Adelaide that could in theory get a look in.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sat 20-Jul-13 02:54:42

Nooo, definitely not Elizabeth, at least not as a first name. Way too big shoes to fill!

Our current Queen's grandmother was Queen Mary. It wasn't 'too Catholic' for her...

KittenofDoom Fri 19-Jul-13 23:12:09

If it's a girl, then being as she would be the first girl in no danger of being bumped from the succession by a younger brother ... an interesting and appropriate choice would be Matilda. Matilda should have been Queen on the death of her father Henry I, but was denied by the barons who installed Stephen as king.

Snazzyenjoyingsummer Fri 19-Jul-13 22:34:06

I love Mary - classic and underused at least in Britain - but don't think they will pick it.

ashlee I like all your suggestions, but I disagree on Diana - I think they will use it as a middle name.

CoolStoryBro Fri 19-Jul-13 22:19:00

Am I the only one who is secretly hoping that they have been reading the MN baby name threads and choose a "K" name as a giant F you to all the ridiculous snobbery on there?!! grin

The definitely is just my definitely via my own telephatic powers grin but I have had a little think, would they call their baby the same name as Victoria beckham hmm, what about Elizabeth?

BOF Fri 19-Jul-13 22:15:36

Who the fuck is Alice?

Dunno, Alice doesn't live here anymore.

Mintyy Fri 19-Jul-13 22:12:47

Love the name Mary. Love it.

Unfortunately, the only woman I have ever truly hated in my whole long life is called Mary. If this were not the case then I would have named dd Mary.

BlueStarsAtNight Fri 19-Jul-13 22:09:49

Ooh I like Jane - might be a silly question but would she be Queen Jane II? Does Lady Jane Grey "count"?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now