Would the Royal baby name put you off one you had chosen?

(61 Posts)
lisbapalea Tue 25-Jun-13 15:09:34

Sorry if this has been done before but I wondered what the general feeling is about naming a child in the next 6-12 months with the same name as the impending Royal sprog.

I am expecting DC2 in December and if it's a boy we are really keen on George but someone this morning said that is odds on favourite for Wills and Kate's baby if it's a boy.

It's really put me off, but am I being an idiot?

I am guessing lots of Williams were born in the early 80s and I can't say I think 'Prince William' any time I meet a Will...

RaisingHooligirls Tue 25-Jun-13 19:40:21

I like Mary. I think Kate & William are pretty dull (in a nice way)and their choice won't be as surprising as Beatrice and Eugenie were at the time. So whatever she chooses, Mary, Jane, George, Frederick, I think it'll be a normal name or a name that is rising in popularity anyway. I'd put a fiver on that!

squoosh Tue 25-Jun-13 19:47:22

Can I just add that I love the fact that the Queen has a great granddaughter called Savannah grin

Weren't Fergie and Awful Andrew sent back to the drawing board by the Queen when they told her they wanted to call one of their kids Annabell?

RaisingHooligirls Tue 25-Jun-13 19:50:34

yeh, if she'd known then she'd have a gd called Savannah! I think there are more night clubs called Savannah. Obviously Peter and Autumn did not need to run their choice past the queen. I like Autumn though. And to be fair, Savannah just sounds American. I know it's not a Royal choice but She is American and their choice proves they're their own people if you know what I mean.

RaisingHooligirls Tue 25-Jun-13 19:50:58

a great gd

FreedomOfTheTess Tue 25-Jun-13 20:33:22

Autumn is not American, she is Canadian.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 25-Jun-13 20:39:23

I had a dd. gave her an (for that time) unusual name. 3 months later a celebrity gave her dd the same name with loads of publicity. This celebrity is never out the newspapers.. Aghhhh. Now the name is as common as muck.....Sigh.hmm

PrincessOfChina Tue 25-Jun-13 20:58:52

George is so popular anyway, along with William and Harry, I would only think to myself "Oh right, another one". Sorry if that sounds harsh.

Elquota Tue 25-Jun-13 21:49:24

No, it wouldn't bother me.

If I meet a 20-something William, I don't think "Prince William" at all.

IsThisAGoodIdea Tue 25-Jun-13 22:37:20

I don't think it will be a problem because it's bound to be something very normal and middle-class and not unusual. I mean, if you named your DD Kate now, nobody would think it was after Kate Middleton would they?

Yes it definitely would- at least for a few years.

aftermay Wed 26-Jun-13 09:17:13

I agree that it's going to be something pretty bland so it shouldn't put you off any more than using any of the other common middle class names around - if that had been your intention!

themaltesecat Wed 26-Jun-13 09:41:21

Not our fault if the royals also favour the prettier, more traditional names.

I wouldn't worry about it.

(My short-list for my baby born in late 2010 was William and Kathryn, as it happens, though I'd only heard of the prince at that stage.)

PerksOfBeingNorthern Wed 26-Jun-13 19:20:49

Charlotte and George have been my guesses since the wedding but now I'm hoping they pick something that hasn't been mentioned.
I'm sure any baby with the same name in next couple of years will get "as in Prince/Princess" then it won't be noticed after that.

Peter and Autumn have an Isla now to go with Savannah blush that I know that grin

looki Wed 26-Jun-13 23:13:17

Gosh yes, it would put me off it completely.

I went out with a guy from an European country who had the same name as one of the royal princes of that country and everytime he said his name he added 'after Prince X, we were born in the same year'.

How sad.

MissHC Thu 27-Jun-13 11:16:41

For me that would really be a reason to NOT use that name. Due in November so everyone will probably think it's after Prince/Princess X.
We like George too but if it turns out to be a George we'll definitely not use that name.

badguider Thu 27-Jun-13 11:18:30

Argh. I hadn't thought of that. Yes it would. She'd better not take our boys name!!!!

Doubt she would though as its got no royal history and is too Scottish.

Dackyduddles Thu 27-Jun-13 11:24:07

Really? I mean there are an awful lot of any name born. Does it really matter if someone, (oh the shame!), royal has it? At least it's a royal baby not Geordie shore surely?

badguider Thu 27-Jun-13 17:36:50

The main reason I'd change if she used our name is that it'll probably ticket into the top 5 names of the year and we've deliberately avoided anything top 20 as I has a fashionable name for my year and hated it!

badguider Thu 27-Jun-13 17:37:14

Rocket not ticket

KittenofDoom Thu 27-Jun-13 18:19:16

I've said it before, but I don't think royal babies do increase the popularity of names. It's taken Beatrice 25 years to catch on, for instance. Eugenie still hasn't. Zara didn't rocket to the top of the charts. Most of the other names are fairly common anyway, William and Henry/Harry were already popular names when the princes were born.

PeriodMath Thu 27-Jun-13 18:24:26

Actually I think Harry was the one name that did take off as a result of the baby prince.

I distinctly remember everyone thought it was a really old-fashioned name, esp the Henry version.

Now we are falling over Harrys.

RaisingHooligirls Thu 27-Jun-13 19:30:58

/true. I think they chose names that were at least ten years away from their (cyclical) turn in the sun. there were no harrys at that point although there were a few Williams because my cousin who is 35 was named William after our gd

squoosh Thu 27-Jun-13 19:35:29

The fact that royal babies don't influence naming trends would make me even more anxious not to use the same name as Will and Kate's baby. If no one else was using the name and you did it would mark you out as a royal Superfan! The type who collects 'lovely' royal plates and teapots from the Telegraph magazine.

RaisingHooligirls Thu 27-Jun-13 19:54:44

yeah! morto! If they pick Alice, no worries, but if they pick Ethelreid or Alfreida then scarleh forya

worldcitizen Thu 27-Jun-13 21:59:37

Autumn might not be U.S.American, but an American she is smile, if you get my drift

May I ask from outside the UK, if there is also talk of giving the child the name Diana as the second or third name possibly, or would this be too touchy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now