Two very different boys names

(33 Posts)
workingtitle Fri 21-Jun-13 13:34:20

We can only find two boys names that we like (compared with the 20 plus options we had for a girl...damn!)

I'd welcome friendly/helpful opinions, I am well aware they won't be to all/many people's tastes! Also, any alternatives? We'd like something French or Welsh ideally, but have been through endless lists and haven't been able to add to the shortlist.

name 1 is Gryffin. My concern is this is not the usual spelling, but it's the way we like it spelled. DS would be 'Gryff' day to day.

name 2 is Etienne. Concerned about how people will shorten (is Eti a horrid nn?) and that people will struggle with spelling/pronunciation?

It's likely that we'll wait to see the baby before we make a final decision!

VBisme Sun 23-Jun-13 19:30:19

Well, I don't know of any names ending in -enne that aren't French in origin.

TrudyW Sun 23-Jun-13 20:39:26

My sister's dad was called Griff and his family was Welsh, he was one of 10 and they all had pretty cool names. Great for uniqueness too as I've never met anyone else called that.

Also like etienne and have only heard that from me liking the clothing brand etienne ozeki.

Either name is a good choice

Anjou Sun 23-Jun-13 21:10:05

Etienne was in my top 3 for DS1 & DS2 but DH and several friends said they felt it was just to French to carry off if you're not French - which I'm not. Still totally gutted about it and may insist on having it if there is ever DS3! It's a beautiful name.

Would you pronounce Gryph the welsh way, I.e 'Gruff'? I love that name, but not keen on the 'Griff' pronunciation. Just my taste.

Other Welsh names I adore are Idris and Taliesin. French names I like: Romain and Sebastien, but Etienne is my favourite by quite some way.

Good luck! smile

TheSecondComing Sun 23-Jun-13 21:13:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Love griffin/Griff
Fab name
also etienne is good too

CelticPromise Mon 24-Jun-13 07:44:25

Anjou Gruff in Welsh IS pronounced Griff more or less. If you wanted it pronounced Gruff as an English person would see it you'd spell it Gryff. For this reason I don't like OP's preferred spelling- looks wrong in Welsh, but then Griffin isn't a Welsh name.

<spelling pedant>

workingtitle Mon 24-Jun-13 12:59:08

Thanks all. We're going to stick with the two choices (but debate the spelling of gryff a bit more!) and decide when we meet him smile

NappiesandGladrags Mon 24-Jun-13 13:54:02

Etienne is a gorgeous sounding name.

DS is Gabriel and we have had the 'feminine sounding' comments too, however most people love it, adore it and the few that have commented otherwise need some cultural education anyway! xx

Go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now